ACL Battery Mount?

Jason Hinkle RIP

Anybody have any creative ideas for mounting a batter on the ACL? I've seen the skinny official Eclair batteries that mount on the side of the camera opposte the motor. Mine didn't come with that mount, nor the batteries. Is there a part that can be added on, or is that only for the ACL II? Or any cool DIY tricks?

I'm tired of slinging my giant battery over my shoulder or around my belt and having to unplug myself every time i set the camera down!

Hey Jason,

I'm pretty sure that the battery bracket screws onto the ACL I and II the same way. My guess is that the hole pattern is the same but I'm not 100 percent on that. To mount the bracket, two screws on the camera body are replaced with longer ones. To me this battery mount puts stress on a weak part of the camera, basically stresses the screws. I saw a photo of one camera that used velcrose to attach the battery to the magazine so it wouldn't move around and stress those screws.

If you can borrow the Eclair battery brackets you could replicate them fairly easily if you want to stay compatible. The part on the camera is from flat stock and the part on the battery is from angle stock. The two exposed screws on the bracket on the battery that slot into the bracket on the camera could be improvised with normal screws and short pieces of tube. If want to do this but haven't got an original to work from I could send photos or some dimensions.

I used to quite like the separate battery, just on a shoulder strap. The camera is lighter, but the small Jaeger power connection used to get a hard time. I recently got an ACL II with a Canon XLR4 connection (and on board battery). With the ACL II base, big Kinoptic finder and latest motor it's getting heavier. I was thinking of making an integrated hand holding rig: handles, shoulder pad and battery attachment behind that. Never got around to it yet.

Are you using NiCd, NiMhi or gell cells?

Cheers,

Gregg

• 3 weeks later...