Doctor Who on the big screen

• Premium Member

As we're all aware, successful TV shows are occasionally given the movie treatment. We here in the UK, with our complete inability to capitalise on success, have traditionally found this sort of thing difficult, but fear not! It's been decided that a big-screen incarnation of Doctor Who should be developed!

Obviously, this is an excellent idea. We know that Doctor Who audiences aren't particularly bothered about watching things which are abysmal and awful and terrible in every way, so no matter how bad a job we do of it, massive financial success is more or less guaranteed.

Except we've given it away to Hollywood:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15730665

That distant thudding sound you can hear is my cranium repeatedly bouncing off the monitor screen. Good grief; I knew we were pretty incompetent, but taking one of the very few British things that Americans will watch that isn't a costume drama, pumping millions of pounds of semi-public money into making it a success, making it into a globally-recognised brand... and then giving it away... I foam at the mouth in agitated disbelief.

Sometimes I think this hellhole of a country deserves every bit of its bad luck.

Still, I suppose if we'd tried to produce it here we'd have tried to do it for £1.90 and everything would still be made out of cardboard and shot by a man who last worked on "Top of the Pops", and whose idea of science fiction is to reach immediately for the party colours. If we'd done it, it would have been so cringeworthy, so utterly embarrassing, viewers would have had to take time out just to writhe around in utter disgust at the feeble tackiness of it all.

But as we already know, Doctor Who already has an audience that loves that stuff.

Aargh, the horror. The horror!

P

• Premium Member

It was all downhill after Tom Baker anyway, the yanks couldn't possibly degrade the franchise further.

Maybe a Doctor with an American accent might even be fun. We had to endure Mad Max getting a dubbed twang back in the 80's.. it's only fair you get your turn.

As an American Doctor Who fan, I agree that this is a bad idea. Keep it in the UK.

When they brought Torchwood to the United States this year, I had to stop watching. It wasn't really Torchwood anymore, and if they bring Doctor Who to the US, I fear that the same thing will happen.

Doctor Who should continue to be made as a television show, by the BBC. That's what it's been, and that's what it should continue to be.

Ryan

• 1 month later...

Well Mel Gibson has been supplying his own twang for years.

He's still trying to stay in the game, I don't know why he doesn't just sit back on his money and retire, or make another mega million dollar religious movie hit with his own money.

I agree, keep it in the UK. Start a petition to say that. I do also agree that the entire "brand" is going down the toilet. The latest incarnation of Torchwood was so much of a let down, I couldn't finish watching it. I really do hope that if Dr.Who comes over here for production, that they do it justice. But me thinks that won't happen. On a larger note about the series, where can they go, what villain is left to defeat, what hurdle has not been met? I think that in this day and age the shelf life of a show is far shorter than in Tom Baker's days. My opinion, however insignifigant, is that I have seen it all with Doctor Who, I feel the story has been told, what more is there to say? Torchwood did carry the flame for three or so seasons, but did they really want to come back after Children of the Earth.

It's been decided that a big-screen incarnation of Doctor Who should be developed!

Doctor Who has already HAD a big-screen incarnation, Dalek: Invasion of Earth 2150 A.D., starring Peter Cushing as Doctor Who from 1966 which had one of the coolest flying saucers of all times:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-p5Ba977VbKs/TazX-OqjLiI/AAAAAAAAAd0/GSaSXuobL_k/s1600/doctor-who-daleks-invasion-earth-movie.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/tardis/images/9/98/Daleks_-_Invasion_Earth_2150_A.D._trailer_title.jpg

http://mistercomfypants.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/daleks-invasion-earth-2150-03.png

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk37/Bogman_photo/Sci-Fi%20Film%20Stills%20Dos/DaleksDalekSaucer.jpg

Kind of a dumb movie but fun, Whatda want? It's Doctor Who not 2001.

Doctor Who has already HAD a big-screen incarnation, Dalek: Invasion of Earth 2150 A.D., starring Peter Cushing as Doctor Who from 1966 which had one of the coolest flying saucers of all times:

There have been two big screen incarnations. The other "Dr Who and the Daleks", also stars Peter Cushing.

Rather strangely, the TARDIS interior looks more impressive in the TV version of the time than the movie

• Premium Member

[I think we've had this conversation before :rolleyes:

Kind of a dumb movie but fun, Whatda want? It's Doctor Who not 2001.

As I said back then:

The "2150" has got to be the handiwork of some marketing numbskull, because there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the movie that suggests they are anywhere but a rather shopworn part of 1960s London! Just a lot of pre-WWII brick buildings, everybody wearing 1960s clothes, and nothing but 1960s technologies.

Certainly nothing like what the poster suggests!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
what difference would it make where this new one is produced

It matters not where it happens, but it does matter who gets the profits.

Knowing us, we'll decide we're not competent to do it (or the BBC will decide they're not competent to do it, which may be true) and give it away to Universal for a dollar, or something.

P