CGI verse models

I remember on the old LOST IN SPACE series there was a shot of the saucer sailing down over a mountain before it crashed out of frame, and it was daylight and gorgeous.

That was most likely done by Howard Lydecker.

Before going to Fox, he and his brother spent years running the effects department at Republic.

http://nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com/search/label/Theodore%20Lydecker

http://nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com/search/label/Howard%20Lydecker

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the opportunity to see the original Star Wars (new hope) projected on a big screen.The Models worked. I have a theory, that unconsciously your mind gets "cues" from a physical 3d object moving in perspective. 3d animation is a simulation and may not be able to cover EVERY cue necessary to convince the mind that its real. That why for the most part: CGI is glorious photo-accurate movie matte painting. but its missing that thing,elusive "I am here" that even a cheap,badly focused model has. for example: "The Right Stuff"

-The one time I was fooled was the P-40/Zero work on "Pearl Harbor"

Umm, you are talking about which part? Because the planes in "Pearl" were real in several parts.

I mean "CGI Faces" as in bad digital camera exposure/color on the live action. Of course they were real people. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if Lucas did eventually go for the "Simone approach. . ."

• Premium Member

Going for the ultimate method acting from the stunt men.

Seems the B17 crash landing was another extra that wasn't planned for.

I always wondered how they staged that shot. The truth is, they didn't! :blink: :o

Yeah, before extreme-sports and gen-X, there was the stunt crew on "Tora Tora Tora". :lol:

I always wondered how they staged that shot. The truth is, they didn't! :blink: :o

Yeah, before extreme-sports and gen-X, there was the stunt crew on "Tora Tora Tora". :lol:

Yes, nothing like the real thing: they partly sunk a liner for the "The Last Voyage"... They used the Ile De France, which was going to be scraped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8-D_YlUQc

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• Premium Member

Yes, nothing like the real thing: they partly sunk a liner for the "The Last Voyage"... They used the Ile De France, which was going to be scraped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8-D_YlUQc

That was that terrorist thriller with Richard Harris, right? I think I saw the last part of that film, where the ship really was sinking, and Harris was running all over the place with a submachinegun or something.

I never saw the whole movie.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fu8-D_YlUQc

wow,

I can imagine this being on at 2am or something - come home from work - chuck it on to unwind while you have dinner/breakfast...

I'd stop midway through a munch and just stare.

I know that for kids these days it just doesn't have all the whiz-bang that they need - but for me I'm living the set, trying to be there, shooting it, that'd be an amazing shot to work on.

Three cameras ? imagine if you fell over and got in the other shots - laugh.gif

• Premium Member

This one sounds like it had a rather colourful shoot: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/87909|0/The-Last-Voyage.html

The effects got an Oscar nomination for A.J. Lohman.

Oh man, sounds like some location shoots I was on years back. Though I have to admit, I never had to confront armed Japanese thugs to get near the dolly.

And I feel for the guy who did the sinking losing out to George Pal's minis at the academy awards. How can you compare sinking a luxury liner with stop motion and miniatures?

Here's the film that I thought you were talking about.

• Premium Member

I've heard of the film, but I haven't seen it. That was the period when there were quite a few aircraft hijacking, so it fits into the public anxiety about that.

It was the era of the disaster flick, and disasters at sea were part of that market trend.

Getting back on topic, a thought occurred to me; I don't think a studio today would risk that kind of money on that kind of stunt/SFX work.

I never saw Cameron's "Titanic", but I saw all the salient shots, and the thing just looks fake right to the core to me. Seeing these flicks, and remembering what I do of them, just on the stories themselves they win out over contemporary fare. And the SFX are REAL.

There's no junky love subplot that's the main focus of the film. No Leonardo's painting naked Kate Winslets. Better SFX, better plot, story, characters, = a better film.

• Premium Member

Now this is CGI done right, and for one of my absolute all time favorite silver screen monsters;

That scene was the intro for a film from Japan called "Always Sunset on 3rd Street, sequel".

But, the big guy is actually scheduled to return in 2014. Hopefully we'll get to see a real Godzilla in proper CGI glory as was depicted in this clip :)