ORWO North America now online

Not certain if this made the rounds yet...

ORWO North America is now online and distributing ORWO black and white camera and lab stocks in 16mm and 35mm.

www.orwona.com

UN54 - 100 ASA

N74 - 400 ASA

ORWO offers an alternative to the discontinued Kodak 7231 and a faster than Double-X black and white N74. It's nice to have options,

and now we have three black and white negative films available in the USA - 100ASA, (UN54) 200ASA (7222) and 400ASA (N74).

--Alain

Edited by Alain LeTourneau

Tempting, I've wanted to try their stuff for years! However at $40 for a 100' they are not really pricing those rolls to really sell, particularly to get a couple rolls to test out. Orwo does realize the market for B&W film is mainly a Bolex/Amateur crowd right?

• Premium Member

Orwo films are as good as the former Agfa-Gevaert, Eastman-Kodak, and others if not better. Fine grained, mechanically first class, reliable. Only single teardrop is that FilmoTec is not furnishing any additional length but cutting off at the nominal lengths like 400 foot instead of 410 foot or so.

I have developed, printed, cut, assembled, projected Orwo films in 35mm and in 16mm many times. I like them.

The 400ft lengths are attractively priced but having to do wind down my own daylight spools seems counter productive for anyone interested in doing some tests and not everyone is fortunate enough to have easy accessing to daylight spools. Since the 400ft loads don't add 10ft for loading then I'd guess the 100ft loads are also similarly short which makes them even more of a bad deal.

Too bad, I'd like to try these out but it seems like a glass half full/empty situation. If you were doing a serious project with a large amount of film you'd be seriously short changed in your total film stock compared to Kodak (who also will offer discounts to students/co-ops).

The 400ft lengths are attractively priced but having to do wind down my own daylight spools seems counter productive for anyone interested in doing some tests and not everyone is fortunate enough to have easy accessing to daylight spools. Since the 400ft loads don't add 10ft for loading then I'd guess the 100ft loads are also similarly short which makes them even more of a bad deal.

Too bad, I'd like to try these out but it seems like a glass half full/empty situation. If you were doing a serious project with a large amount of film you'd be seriously short changed in your total film stock compared to Kodak (who also will offer discounts to students/co-ops).

I got a discount for a bulk order. I think they would work with anyone that asks, students, non-profits.... It's not Kodak they have an actual guy that gets back to you and can process invoices for custom orders... Pretty easy actually.

Orwo films are as good as the former Agfa-Gevaert, Eastman-Kodak, and others if not better. Fine grained, mechanically first class, reliable. Only single teardrop is that FilmoTec is not furnishing any additional length but cutting off at the nominal lengths like 400 foot instead of 410 foot or so.

I have developed, printed, cut, assembled, projected Orwo films in 35mm and in 16mm many times. I like them.

Can you use leader film for spooling? or is that only for motion picture?

• Premium Member

Can you use leader film for spooling? or is that only for motion picture?

I am not sure if I am interprreting you but the 100 ft spools normaly come with some extra length of film, to allow for what oyou use in threading the camera and also for what is fogged with loading in daylight.

This is perfectly good film in most cases if you can use it without damaging it in loading and if the lab does not trim it beofre processing. (I do recall getting a roll years ago where Kodak had perforated the type number on the leader protion to prevent it from being used, but I don't believe this is current practice.)

• Premium Member

Surprise with my first 16mm roll of Orwo.

I got a couple of 100ft rolls of the ORWO in 16mm to try, and they were packed in 100ft 35mm cans. Curiosity had me open the pack in the darkroom, and I found the 100 ft roll was just on a core, rather then a spool.

No harm done, but I am not sure I can wedge it into my Filmo without re-spooling. Whould be a nasty shock to someone opening the can in the light and expecting to find a daylight spool.

• 4 years later...