Can a camera with fungus be saved?

Matt Stevens

I have no idea about this. If someone bought a camera twenty five years ago, never used it, kept it in the basement and it has developed some fungus, is that a death sentence? Is it possible to be saved, or is it too labor intensive to make it even close to be worthwhile?

I'm guess the latter, but thought I'd ask.

• Premium Member

Depends on how deep the fungus has etched. Also, something that looks like fungus inside the lens could be a grease smear from the iris blades. If the fungus has just begun to break down the coating it might be possible to get away with it if it's not on the lens central axis. First thing to do is to bring Dracula into the light. Leave in on a sunny window ledge for a few days, let it get some good fresh air. It's been enjoying the darkness, humidity and stale air for 25 years. Sharpen up the wooden stake just in case.....

Cheers,

Bernie

• Premium Member

Just an off the wall thought -- If a lens with fungus were left inside a house that's being fumigated with Vikane for termites, would that KO the stuff? I believe it kills the dryrot fungus, so maybe it would be worth a try....

-- J.S.