K3 won't wind

Matthew B Clark

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm sorry it had to be to ask for newbie advice! Anyway, I just made the jump from Super 8 to 16mm with a K3 I just got in from a recent eBay purchase (from Russia if that has any bearing at all). The spring was wound up when I got it, so I switched it to 8 fps and ran it out (it worked! haha!). So tonight I busted it out again to really have a look and practice loading and unloading, and as I'm doing this, I am turning the fps dial, which suddenly doesn't seem to "click" (should it?), plus, it seems to rotate round and round. Not exactly "loose", but it just kind of "revolves" I guess. I brushed it off, newbie I am, because that said it might be normal if I found an actual eyeball inside the lens of these strange 16mm creatures. However, every youtube video I've digested thus far has shown a "crank" sound upon wind-up. I definitely don't hear that. Nothing is winding. Is this normal? Is it fixable? I just emailed Bernie O'Doherty about it because I wanted to get this thing looked at anyway (possibly widened to super 16 too), but this place always seems to get good answers. Anyway, if anybody can help explain this I'd certainly appreciate it a lot. I also seem to have a lot of "dried turpentine" looking residual dirt swipes appearing in the viewfinder. Is this camera one of those that you see right through the lens? Thus making that appear on the film plane too? Yikes. $300 might have been better spent elsewhere, but I want to get shooting and practice!!! Arrrrgh. Ok, thanks in advance everyone.