Approx. 36 fps - Canon 1014XL-S & 814XL-S

Erkan Umut

Why its an approximate value? Why not exact?

Because of battery drainage?

Thanks for any reply.

Probably the slow-motion function works by disengaging the speed regulator and applying full voltage to the motor. Then it is unregulated and it is only a best guess :) It would indeed be dependend on the condition of the batteries.

The Canon are known to be spot on with their standard fps. I.e. on a full length of a cartridge (3000-4000 frames) the would only be off by 1 frame. Very suitable for sound-syncing without spending thousands :) But you would need to test the accuracy.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

No super8 can give you exact frames per second. They just are not built with that kind of precision. If you spend some money, you can crystal sync the 1014 XL-S for 24 fps and get sync sound...

http://www.webtfg.com/sync8.htm

Thank you Matt!

Its not about X-tal sync or pulse sync, etc.

I just would like to know, why Canon gives this approx value for 36fps.

I've never seen approx values given of slo-mo fps rates for any other camera than these two models.

Probably the slow-motion function works by disengaging the speed regulator and applying full voltage to the motor. Then it is unregulated and it is only a best guess :) It would indeed be dependend on the condition of the batteries.

The Canon are known to be spot on with their standard fps. I.e. on a full length of a cartridge (3000-4000 frames) the would only be off by 1 frame. Very suitable for sound-syncing without spending thousands :) But you would need to test the accuracy.

Thank you Andries!

I just would like to know, why Canon gives this approx value for 36fps on all Canon literature.

For an example, I have a Nikon R10, and the 54fps exact value is given on all Nikon literature.

Edited by Erkan Umut

Thank you Andries!

I just would like to know, why Canon gives this approx value for 36fps on all Canon literature.

For an example, I have a Nikon R10, and the 54fps exact value is given on all Nikon literature.

They can print what they specified it to be and what they tried to adjust the regulator for.

But if there is an unregulated speed then they can only print aproximate :)

It is more a linguistic problem rather then a speed problem.

They can print what they specified it to be and what they tried to adjust the regulator for.

But if there is an unregulated speed then they can only print aproximate :)

It is more a linguistic problem rather then a speed problem.

biggrin.gif Liked that reply very much! GREAT!