"Blue Ridge" Kodak Q&A

• Premium Member

Kodak is finally publishing an quick interview I did with them on my feature Blue Ridge (Thank you Kodak). The film will be coming out in early 2012. Limited US theatrical but hopefully a saturated digital/VOD deal... finally! I thought I'd post the link here but will follow up with more soon in the "On Screen" section.

Some names and info I had hoped would be included were edited for space.

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Publications/In_Camera/Q_and_A/vincentSweeney.htm

303800_10150337742436736_204125451735_8494702_1760119779_n.jpg

• Premium Member

Hey thanks Adrian, although you may have to catch it on Netflix or OnDemand, etc. The theater play will likely be very limited. LA and a couple on the east coast so far.

Yes Jon, it was edited in Prores.

Oh make sure to join the facebook page! blueridgemovie.com The teaser has been on IMDB for a while but a real trailer will come soon.

But you could share the names and info with us here as a bonus? :)

Thats funny, I didn't read the article but I remember seeing the title on there when reading the Kodak page and giggling away to myself. :) I had that song stuck in my head for hours after. I was like, "I guess that film must have been made in Virginia!" lol! Not sure if the title will have the same effect stateside but it certainly made me smile which is obviously good!

Can I ask where you had the film processed and what your workflow was in terms of grading?

Isn't Sean Gullette a well known actor? The name definitely rings a bell but I am completely rubbish with names!

Looks something a bit different. I think that mobile home was quite a find and will probably end up being the true star of the show! Looks amazing!

Good luck with it, again, it's especially nice to see something out there shot on film instead of the usual!

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

Kodak is finally publishing an quick interview I did with them on my feature Blue Ridge (Thank you Kodak). The film will be coming out in early 2012. Limited US theatrical but hopefully a saturated digital/VOD deal... finally! I thought I'd post the link here but will follow up with more soon in the "On Screen" section.

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Publications/In_Camera/Q_and_A/vincentSweeney.htm

303800_10150337742436736_204125451735_8494702_1760119779_n.jpg

Vincent is this the project you were inquiring about scanning a while back and we coresponded about? Where did you get this film scanned? I am about to (fingers crossed) shoot a pilot on S16 on an LTR, just like you. we are looking at Fuji stocks, for price, but also look. I hope Blue Ridge comes to Boston, I'd love to see it. In the Kodak interview (I'm gonna show it to the producers), I like how you mentioned the cost misconceptions with indie projects. I am very interest to see the 2.39 framing and blow up of your film.

• Premium Member

But you could share the names and info with us here as a bonus? :)

Thats funny, I didn't read the article but I remember seeing the title on there when reading the Kodak page and giggling away to myself. :) I had that song stuck in my head for hours after. I was like, "I guess that film must have been made in Virginia!" lol! Not sure if the title will have the same effect stateside but it certainly made me smile which is obviously good!

Can I ask where you had the film processed and what your workflow was in terms of grading?

Isn't Sean Gullette a well known actor? The name definitely rings a bell but I am completely rubbish with names!

Looks something a bit different. I think that mobile home was quite a find and will probably end up being the true star of the show! Looks amazing!

Good luck with it, again, it's especially nice to see something out there shot on film instead of the usual!

love

Freya

Thanks. It was all processed at Cinefilm in Atlanta. The best-light, edited Prores file was simply put into Color and graded from there in NY at Contact DI & Post. You can spend a lot more doing it other ways but the benefits are slight in my view, esp. for this type of film.

Yes Sean Gullette was the star of Aronofsky's "Pi". He was in "Happy Accidents" as well, among some others.

Hopefully I'll be able to use film on the next (larger) film as well!

• Premium Member

Vincent is this the project you were inquiring about scanning a while back and we coresponded about? Where did you get this film scanned? I am about to (fingers crossed) shoot a pilot on S16 on an LTR, just like you. we are looking at Fuji stocks, for price, but also look. I hope Blue Ridge comes to Boston, I'd love to see it. In the Kodak interview (I'm gonna show it to the producers), I like how you mentioned the cost misconceptions with indie projects. I am very interest to see the 2.39 framing and blow up of your film.

Chris, no I think I was talking to you about "Plan 9" actually, which ended up on the F3. Their budget was even more insane than mine.

I went with Cinefilm in Atlanta on their Spirit. It's a nice one-stop shop. It's been a good while since this was there but I assume they are still processing.

I went into more detail in the questions, talking about the ideas that some people seem to have about film costs and how I think it relates to the "old days" when it was more complex. I see little difference with digital now; you add a shipping step in the process but that is it. How shipping film, once, makes things "so complex" makes little sense.

Interestingly, after just watching lots of F3 and some red footage, I had to go back to my film for dealing with the endless delivery process and I was a little shocked jumping back to the 16mm footage. Those images really do exist in a different world from digital and the end product seems like something else entirely from what I was getting used to. Sometimes nothing else will serve.

• 2 weeks later...

Vincent - Great interview in Kodak's InCamera. What was great to hear a director choosing format for story and not for budget or wrong choices. There's a growing number of storytellers who do not learn about all formats.

Would like to share another Kodak InCamera article. The director and I chose our format for the story telling aesthetic and to try and keep 'true' approach when re-creating this classic genre. We felt we chose the right canvas

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Publications/In_Camera/Next_Generation/darkDesertHighway.htm

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hey thanks for asking but no, no news yet. For non-studio supported films this stuff takes so much longer than anyone can imagine, on top of being always unknown until the last minute. We already played a few times near SF in San Jose at Cinequest. We are working on getting a spot in or near the LA area right now and I doubt if it will make it back up your way, unfortunately.