Where can I get ANY 16mm film (Fuji,Kodak, short ends, recan, expired, etc..)

Guest Christopher Sheneman

I'm wondering if there's any other places to buy 16mm film other than Ebay? Here in 2012..? And prices too (if you know, thank you..)

New, used or old- I need me some 16mm film!

I'm wondering if there's any other places to buy 16mm film other than Ebay? Here in 2012..? And prices too (if you know, thank you..)

New, used or old- I need me some 16mm film!

Knowing what country you're in might help people with suggestions.

Here in the UK I've found no problems going direct to both Kodak UK and Fuji UK.

Sorry, Seattle, WA USA.

I noticed Film Emporium has a website, has anyone ordered from them recently? I noticed they're charging MSRP on all film, I could probably get a better deal from my local lab (alpha) - Anyone cheaper?

Ebay is funny, ppl are selling 20-60 year old "unexposed" film stock (Kodachrome,EXR, News Ekta) for as much as brand new vision3 it seems.. There's the occasional good lot but there's gotta be a better resource for students, indies.

Where can I get the deals at? Or at least a fair price..

I hear you can get re-cans, short ends from L.A. productions shooting on S16 - is there a film stock dealer in L.A.?

Thanks for all your help, guys..

• Premium Member

You should talk directly to a rep at Fuji or Kodak (both of their sites will have contact infos) you'd be surprised what kind of good deals you can get from them. Kodak also has an online student's store for all their stock student prices (though better pricing can probably be had).

That's nice, Adrian, I'll do that. A little off topic here but I heard Kodak is having serious problems staying operational (losing CEO's left and right- selling patents to raise cash, etc..).

Is it possible Kodak could go out-of-business and cease manufacturing 16mm/35mm motion picture film here in 2012?

• Premium Member

It's not something I'd really worry about anytime soon. While they are in trouble, their MP division does make money for the company, not as much as they used to, but they're still profitable. If anything I could see a bankrupcy and restructuring, but.. hell lots of companies have gone through that. And, even in the absolute worst case, if they did go under entirely, there is still Fuji who make some damned good stocks of their own (honestly, though I like Kodak more most of the time) and I could see MP becomming it's own company/spun off. For now, don't worry too much about that, and worry about your movie.

• Premium Member

Sorry, Seattle, WA USA.

I noticed Film Emporium has a website, has anyone ordered from them recently? I noticed they're charging MSRP on all film, I could probably get a better deal from my local lab (alpha)?

If you are dealing with your local lab, they probably know of anyone looking to sell ends locally.

The short end guys like film emporium tend to prefer working on a quote basis. The stock they have probably changes all the time. If you know what you want give them a call and ask what they have - the more open your requirements the better chance that they will have a suitable match. I think there is a short end guy locally in Vancouver BC, so check the BC film commission site.

E-bay is a bit of the wild west, but I have seen most of the short end places selling stock from time to time. Just don't look for "vintage" stock.

Is it possible Kodak could go out-of-business and cease manufacturing 16mm/35mm motion picture film here in 2012?

Anything's possible, though supposedly their MP division makes money, therefore it'll likely be spun off. Kodak just sold their gelatin division though, even though it seems to have been doing quite well. I'm starting to think Kodak has a deathwish at this point :/

Oh yeah, you can order film online right from Kodak, and that's about as easy as it gets:

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/list/Film/Motion_Picture_Film/categoryID.55766100

Enjoy!

Do use Film Emporium. They rip you off and are flakes. Use MEDIA DISTRIBUTORS. Very good service. You can also contact Kodak and tell them you are shooting a film but the producers want to shoot in on the RED Camera, while you want to shoot it on film. Ask hem to give you a deal or you'll be forced to shoot on digital. They will give you a deal. http://www.mediadistributors.com/access/index.php