DVD Formats

CraigTarry

Hello, I'm wanting to burn some footage onto DVD. My burner supports:

DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and dvd-RAM

I heard some talk that some homemade DVD's will not play on all DVD players. Will one of the formats above play on all DVD players? Thanks - Craig

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

It was rumored early on that DVD-R's were more compatible with older DVD players. I'm not sure if that's still correct, but it's what I use. For the most part they work fine. However, I can tell you with certainty that they don't always work. You have to have them replicated at a facility to insure they'll always work. Get a DVD player that supports multiple formats.

I'll second that, a home computer is probably the worst place to test your dvd. Decoding software on PCs is ALWAYS less than optimal... less than nominal in my experience.

If you want to guaruntee maximum compatibility, use -R. I read a report by some guy that tested about 80 dvd players (circa '01) and found that even with the most compatible dvds were only playable on about 60% of set top players. Hopefully we've improved a small amount since then.

I always burn DVD-R. I've only ever had one complaint that it didn't play. But I had them try it in a different player and all was fine.

If this is for a reel I wouldn't worry too much about it because the sad fact is, your reel usually gets played on a computer in a tiny box on an il-adjusted screen. The computer will certainly play it though.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

DVD-R : Basic, can't shift too many features but it's best for compatibility

DVD+R : More features than the minus, although less compatibility

DVD RAM : Re-writable, although compatibility is a bit tight.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Personally I'd just stick with the DVD-R's. They do most of the features you could ever want anyway.