Why did Fincher replace Fredrik Bäckar on "Dragon Tattoo"?

Joe Riggs

Does anyone know why Fincher replaced original cinematographer Fredrik Bäckar(who used to post here)after eight weeks? I know Fincher can be really demanding but this was a huge break for Bäckar. I wonder if anyone can shed some more insight on this, instead of the usual "creative differences".

Did they reshoot his stuff? If not, a bunch of what is in the film is Backar's work, yet he is not credited.

Does anyone know how Backar (a relative unknown) landed such a high profile gig?

I guess it's a pretty ugly reason because a simple time or health problem would have been made public.

Wasn't there a similar thing with "Panic Room" where Darius Khondji was replaced because of "creative differences" where he later said that every single scene has been worked out by Fincher including the focal length and Khondji didn't want to work as a simple "operator" on set? I mean all Fincher-movies look like Fincher despite the changing DoPs - that's at least my impression.

I read a pretty uninformative article about this shoot in HD Video Magazine. Fincher wanted to involve Swedes in the project, but apparently, it just didn't work out between director and DP. It happens. They kept about half of what he shot.

My understanding is that the reason he "wanted to involve Swedes" is because there are union rules about hiring sweedish DP's to shoot in Sweeden.

This is speculation on my part but my guess would be that they never really intended to hire him for the whole film in the first place and that it was all just politics to fufill the basic requirements. This is why they would hire a lesser known DP in the first place, easier to get rid of quietly and for those people with a conscience involved, they can always feel like they are giving something of a break to the little guy.

Fredrick is handling it very well, so he is either a smart cookie, or was possibly in on it from the start to some extent. He has the teaser trailer on his Vimeo even:

http://vimeo.com/33913447

Fredrick is still out there working hard on commercials, heres something recent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rheux4lRWJw

Incidently, while I'm discussing this kinda stuff, I would like to point out that I'm presently struggling in life and that I'm totally available as a "Fall Guy" for any productions that will pay me or make a very good non cash offer. No need for conscience salve. P.M. me to discuss further.

love

Freya

Did they reshoot his stuff? If not, a bunch of what is in the film is Backar's work, yet he is not credited.

I expect the stuff he shot was the bits in sweeden and that it is still in the film. Could be wrong...

love

Freya

I guess it's a pretty ugly reason because a simple time or health problem would have been made public.

Wasn't there a similar thing with "Panic Room" where Darius Khondji was replaced because of "creative differences" where he later said that every single scene has been worked out by Fincher including the focal length and Khondji didn't want to work as a simple "operator" on set? I mean all Fincher-movies look like Fincher despite the changing DoPs - that's at least my impression.

Is there any more information on Fincher making all these decisions? That really fascinates me for some reason, I was just reading today that he got his first job working in film as a loader.

Also Freya, that commercial was unbelievably gorgeous, Fredrik seems to do some real good stuff.

• Premium Member

Does anyone know why Fincher replaced original cinematographer Fredrik Bäckar(who used to post here)after eight weeks? I know Fincher can be really demanding but this was a huge break for Bäckar. I wonder if anyone can shed some more insight on this, instead of the usual "creative differences".

Does anyone know how Backar (a relative unknown) landed such a high profile gig?

The AC article says that David & the cinematographer weren't seeing eye to eye. Also says after a few weeks of shooting

David decided to make a change. Also, that due to script changes, several of the sequences filmed during the

first week were re-shot. So, it's not clear how much of Backar's work made it to the screen.

Eh, it happens more often than people realize. For instance even Haskell Wexler's been replaced...twice...by Bill Butler. In many cases, it's just a matter of communication, whether the Director & DP are speaking the same visual language. Does the DP understand the Director's vision enough to please him? It's not always a negative about the DP, sometimes people just don't click, so a change needs to be made.

Eh, it happens more often than people realize. For instance even Haskell Wexler's been replaced...twice...by Bill Butler. In many cases, it's just a matter of communication, whether the Director & DP are speaking the same visual language. Does the DP understand the Director's vision enough to please him? It's not always a negative about the DP, sometimes people just don't click, so a change needs to be made.

I've heard this one about Andrew Lesnie on Mission Impossible 2, apparently right after being replaced, Peter Jackson contacted him about Lord of the Rings. Not a bad swap for the long term.

• 2 weeks later...

I expect the stuff he shot was the bits in sweeden and that it is still in the film. Could be wrong...

love

Freya

That's something tricky cause this film just got an cinematography nom, would be a bit of a shame if his work makes it in the film and whatever work he's done goes unnoticed. It would depend on how much of what he shot made it in, but I remember Haskell Wexler being upset over another matter with Days of Heaven where he had an additional photography credit and he claims he shot half the film. I doubt it matters much with his other Oscars anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I don´t post so much here but read alot I do. As some of you have already have said, sometimes things just don´t work out

between two people. I did my six weeks of shooting and then Jeff went on from there. All my stuff is in there still,

but the credit bit eludes me though.

But hey, No hard feelings, it happens.

Cheers

All flasbacks exept when the girl runs down the studio Hill. The scene with the old nazi showing photos. Most of the opening. And a bunch others.

Cheers

I haven't seen the film yet, but is there any scenes in particular I should recognise as what you shot? I really liked your commercial work, looking forward to seeing the work you did in this.