Which shot works better?

Lee Tamer

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum I wasn't sure where it would fit.

What's bugging me is the light on the left of the frame in the first image. Which of these shots works better? Is the light a big problem? I'm wondering if it would be too much of a distraction. Does it bother anyone?

sequence02still019.jpg

sequence02still018.jpg

For me it depends what he is actually saying, if it's something emotional or he is whispering i would go with the first one despite the light (didn't actually see it at first because I instantly focused on the actor), and personally I like the first shot better.

The second one has to much unneeded background information on the actor's left for me but the light issue is gone off course.

I like the one with the light. Perhaps if had you knocked back the lamp with some nd or a smaller globe so it wasnt such a blown out highlight it would have been better, but I dont know the context of the story, so the other might work better in that respect, telling a story is more than just pretty pictures.

I like the one with the light. Perhaps if had you knocked back the lamp with some nd or a smaller globe so it wasnt such a blown out highlight it would have been better, but I dont know the context of the story, so the other might work better in that respect, telling a story is more than just pretty pictures.

this man speaks the truth! wink.gif

I like the second one.

It shows the space where this scene takes place and makes you look briefly down the hallway for a second.

As for the light, I see it as forced separation between the two actors, when you have subtly created the separation by the use of color in the second shot (black shirt/white wall/black suit)nice contrast. The light in the first just makes a "hot spot" on a white wall drawing unneeded attention : )

• Premium Member

The first shot is far better, composition-wise. Yes...I figured this was digital simply from the harshness of the way the light is burning into the wall. Yep, some ND gel probably would have helped. But since you can't go back and re-shoot, I'd stay with the first shot. Much more interesting. As the previous poster stated, the light creates a divide between the two actors and a bit of depth since the light is softly focused (as opposed to the second shot with flat walls.)

Both suck. just kidding. I like both. The first for the reason already mentioned that it adds separation between the characters and the second for the depth that it adds. Seriously, go with performance of the actor.

Edited by Tom Jensen

Yeah, it's pretty much exactly what Matt said. What if the hallway and the exit sign carry great significance to your overall story? We can't exactly tell, but it's one of the reasons why composition is so dependent on story and mood, and not just on creating a nice singular frame.

Also for the next time, just knock back the light with some ND or black masking tape, but even the blown out light, that can be to an artistic effect. Also lighting to around the bulb's exposure will help reduce it.

In the second set the light does become distracting because it appears to be growing out of the woman's head.

I'm not sure why you're getting the white balance variations, because once you've set it in the camera for a scene it usually stays the same, unless there's been a change in the lighting colour temperature.