Average DP pay

TimV

I'm in early stages of development for a short film I'm shooting here in Philly this spring. What is a fair rate to pay for a local DP to shoot a 15 page script?

Anyone have experiences with grad students looking to build portfolios for no fee?

• Premium Member

It's always possible to find someone who is so hungry that they will do something for free. Are you in school? If so, I'd look for someone in your program first. If not, I'd at least offer a minimal stipend considering the responsibilities of the position.

• Premium Member

Depends on the film; and most DPs will make deals/cut you a break for a short especially if you're just starting out. It is 1/2 wise to look at school kids, but in the end, if you hire a student you get student work. I'd get into touch with the Philadelphia Film Office (film.org) they have all the listings for DPs in Philadelphia, and you can also post with them.

You should just find a DoP you jive with and then work on how much to pay them.

Thank you both. TO answer your question around my experience, I've been out of film school for a few years now, but I would still would classify myself as still new to the scene. My story has got me extremely excited and I want to ensure it's captured in the best possible light... pun intended.

Thanks Adrian for the film.org tip. Great site!

Good luck Tm! Let me know if you need ne thing here in Phila; I can fwd you 'round to a few people I know ect, and if you're ever in need of that one or two extra light, beer is negotiable tender.

Much appreciated! I wonder if I can offer credit/food/beer in my gig posting for crew... would be interesting to see if I would have a greater applicant response. :)