VISION 4

Paul Bartok

• Premium Member

I don't see a need for, not a release of V4 for awhile to come. The V3 stocks are by far the "broadest" stocks I've used with such limited grain all the way up to the 500T that I'm sure it's getting difficult for Kodak, or anyone, to keep improving on them. And; while many of us here would love a stock with more character (a kin to Vivid from Fuji, or my favorite buy gone 5260 500T from Kodak) the stuff we have now is so low in contrast that it seems I can get any look I need as I take it through the pipeline.

• Premium Member

I don't see a need for, not a release of V4 for awhile to come. The V3 stocks are by far the "broadest" stocks I've used with such limited grain all the way up to the 500T that I'm sure it's getting difficult for Kodak, or anyone, to keep improving on them. And; while many of us here would love a stock with more character (a kin to Vivid from Fuji, or my favorite buy gone 5260 500T from Kodak) the stuff we have now is so low in contrast that it seems I can get any look I need as I take it through the pipeline.

I don't see a need for any more Vision stocks... unless they can make a 1000T that is the same grain as the current 500T.

Fuji, on the other hand, needs to update their 64D stock either as a finer grained version of 160T Vivid or 250D Eterna. There are no fine-grain options with Fuji -- I tested 64D against 160T Vivid and 250D Eterna and found that the difference in graininess wasn't enough to justify the slow speed, plus the faster stocks, being newer, were actually sharper than 64D.

• Premium Member

I certainly would love to see a 1000T stock; of course the counter-argument to that is you can easily push the '19 1 stop without (according to Kodak's demonstrations) too much penalty.

Hell I'd also love to revive the 800T stock, despite it being a veritable mosaic of grain!

As for Fuji; I have to agree, I used the F64 out in NM in S16mm and was very underwhelmed by the results. I should've gone with Vivid; but live and learn I suppose.

David: How, in your expoerience, has F64 compared to 5245? Maybe Fuji doesn't see the need to upgrade it because you DP types are in love with bigger numbers :P I'm amazed how many shoots opt for mid-speed daylight to shoot at high noon, or go 500T everything, some with 16!

I think fuji will "redo" either the 64d or 500d as a vivid stock. With Kodak I feel you shouldn't fix what isn't broken. there probably will be a 1000T or with the next generation 500T; that can be pushed two and three stops with minimal grain. good to hear the 64d has as much grain as the current 250D. I didn't know. I was about to shoot some b roll for a pilot on it, but will probably will stick with the eterna 250d.