WTF, eBay auction warning

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

Don't know what's going on, but right now I can count five eBay auctions for Arriflex cameras where the auction does not include the camera eyepiece. Just to make it clear, finding an Arriflex eyepiece for one of these cameras is a very expensive proposition so please, Buyer Beware. If you buy one of these cameras without an eyepiece, it is completely unusable as it is, and acquiring an eyepiece is going to set you back hundreds of dollars.

Arriflex IIB

Arriflex 16S

Arriflex 16M

Arriflex 16S

Arriflex 16M

There is also an individual who keeps listing an Arriflex 16BL without the eyepiece.

Again, remember, if you buy an Arriflex motion picture camera without an eyepiece, you don't have a motion picture camera, you have a boat anchor.

Buyer Beware.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Yeah Robert, it's really weird. These just started showing up in the last few weeks. (Actually, the guy selling the Arriflex 16BL has been listing that for longer).

Is there some other use for an Arriflex eyepiece that you know of? Can't understand what happened to all these eyepieces. Wonder if they fit some video camera or some accessory for an HDSLR or a video rig.

Best,

-Tim

I know of no other use for Arri eye pieces, Tim. I am just jolly glad that my Arri 16S/B is complete. It is difficult to imagine how or why it has come about that these cameras appear to have survived without their respective eyepieces. If all of the cameras had been owned by a single owner who stored his cameras with the eyepieces detached, and in the course of time the cameras and the eyepieces have somehow become seperated, it might be less of a coincidence, but these cameras appear, for the most part, to be owned and likely to have been owned, by different people. So, why would so many owners sell an eyepiece with the result that the camera from which it came would be rendered incomplete? As you suggest, Tim, one cannot use the viewfinder without the eyepiece and it is difficult to imagine how an Arri eyepiece would be useable on some other device given that they have "location keys" which engage in location points on the main part of the viewer and, presumably, a dedicated fixing thread. There has to be an explanation, I guess, but as I said in my ealier posting, Tim... most strange!

• Premium Member

Yeah Robert, it's really weird. These just started showing up in the last few weeks. (Actually, the guy selling the Arriflex 16BL has been listing that for longer).

Yup, been watching that. He keeps re-listing it.

• Premium Member

Two of the ads ( from eBay seller 'kinemaman' ) actually states there's an eyepiece included but clearly not in his photos !

John S :angry:

John,

I wrote to the Kinemanan seller and asked him about the eyepieces on his two auctions. He wrote back saying he would add the eyepiece to the package. The word eyepiece then showed up on the auctions last night, but he still left the wording about anything not in the pictures is not part of the auction. The whole thing is bizarre. I would be very cautious about any of those.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Unless you already have another 2c door and could use that as a backup camera...

I've bought several things from that guy. He's ok, not sure what's going on with the eye pieces in these ads but my dealings with him have been legit and he's been helpful on 16mm projectors.

• Premium Member

Is there some other use for an Arriflex eyepiece that you know of? Can't understand what happened to all these eyepieces. Wonder if they fit some video camera or some accessory for an HDSLR or a video rig.

Best,

-Tim

The only thing I could think of, is that they're out of some sort of dedicated remote-operated system where the video camera directly imaged the ground-glass, and the previous either sold or mislaid the eyepieces. Directly imaging would greatly improve the video camera sensitivity, but of course you'd need to be ultra-careful with focus.

What you say, Kieth, must surely be a possibility. What is perhaps a little surprising is that a number of cameras appear to have come on to the market at more or less the same time which, it seems, do not include an eyepiece, but I guess these things happen. I seem to recall that from time to time there have been eyepieces offered for sale, so I expect there are still some available. It might just take time to obtain one. I do think one has to give credit to those who were offering the cameras listed by Tim for publishing clear pictures which showed there was no eyepiece included, and so potential buyers were made aware of this and could take it into account when bidding. If they do not have an eyepiece to include, then they do not have one.

Edited by Robert Lewis

• Premium Member

Just got an answer from the individual selling this one regarding the eyepiece. The seller says he'll be listing the eyepiece in a separate auction shortly.

He's selling two cameras without eyepieces. Is he going to have two separate auctions for eyepieces, one for each camera. To me, when you don't include an essential part of the entire package in the auction, and never mention that you're not including it, then sell that essential part in a separate auction, to me that's dirty dealing. I'm sure others would disagree, but that is never how I would want to do business with people. To me it's ripping people off and taking advantage of them.

Best,

-Tim

He's selling two cameras without eyepieces. Is he going to have two separate auctions for eyepieces, one for each camera. To me, when you don't include an essential part of the entire package in the auction, and never mention that you're not including it, then sell that essential part in a separate auction, to me that's dirty dealing. I'm sure others would disagree, but that is never how I would want to do business with people. To me it's ripping people off and taking advantage of them.

Best,

-Tim

Agreed. Just wanted to make any potential buyers aware.

Just got an answer from the individual selling this one regarding the eyepiece. The seller says he'll be listing the eyepiece in a separate auction shortly.

His auction photos now show the eyepiece on the camera . . . as it should be.

• Premium Member

Yes, LOTS of big closeups of the eyepiece in there. That's shot his fox.

He did add the eyepiece to the 16S auction, but with his auction of the 16M, no eyepiece, no magazines, no motor, no power cord, no lenses, and all for $1200.

Bought that same camera, with two mags, motor, Angenieux zoom, power cord, battery pack, and eyepiece for $500 six years ago.

Would be surprised if he got any bids on that one.

Best,

-Tim

• 7 months later...

Hello,

certainly not the ideal comment to start my contribution to this forum with (I promise I will introduce myself soon), but have you noticed the last picture of the Arri M auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRIFLEX-M-16mm-Camera-Body-/250985975100?nma=true&si=fhwYW%2B8Q5Zk3B%2BFojmrzlvgwD%2BE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

in which it is clearly visible that on the right handed side of the body the serial number under the Arri logo has been filed away? There is a new number „7533“ that has been scratched in the bottom of the camera but the door shows the number „M1011“

Whoever this did (not necessarily this ebay seller himself) and for what reason, which well reputable firm would service this camera anymore? Would you dare to send this to Arri for a lubrication and lookup? Would you buy a camera that has an altered serial number? These cameras are so old we could say „who cares anymore?“, but on the other hand, the new owner would certainly run into problems once service is needed or when he has contact with a policeman or the customs.

Have you any ideas for legal reasons why the serial on the body has been removed and the one on the door has been left untouched? I could imagine such practice when a camera receives a new door (but would find it more likely that in this case the number on the door to be changed or filed away rather than the body number), but here the new number at the bottom does not match the door number, which makes it more mysterious.

Don´t get me wrong - I don´t want to accuse the ebay seller - maybe there is an explanation for this.

Best wishes

Peter

Btw.: Some say the 16 M cameras look shabby, but I like their appearance.

Edited by Peter Heinemann

• Premium Member

Hello,

certainly not the ideal comment to start my contribution to this forum with (I promise I will introduce myself soon), but have you noticed the last picture of the Arri M auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRIFLEX-M-16mm-Camera-Body-/250985975100?nma=true&si=fhwYW%2B8Q5Zk3B%2BFojmrzlvgwD%2BE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

in which it is clearly visible that on the right handed side of the body the serial number under the Arri logo has been filed away? There is a new number „7533“ that has been scratched in the bottom of the camera but the door shows the number „M1011“

Whoever this did (not necessarily this ebay seller himself) and for what reason, which well reputable firm would service this camera anymore? Would you dare to send this to Arri for a lubrication and lookup? Would you buy a camera that has an altered serial number? These cameras are so old we could say „who cares anymore?“, but on the other hand, the new owner would certainly run into problems once service is needed or when he has contact with a policeman or the customs.

Have you any ideas for legal reasons why the serial on the body has been removed and the one on the door has been left untouched? I could imagine such practice when a camera receives a new door (but would find it more likely that in this case the number on the door to be changed or filed away rather than the body number), but here the new number at the bottom does not match the door number, which makes it more mysterious.

Don´t get me wrong - I don´t want to accuse the ebay seller - maybe there is an explanation for this.

Best wishes

Peter

Btw.: Some say the 16 M cameras look shabby, but I like their appearance.

It says the auction was "ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

It says the auction was "ended by the seller because the item is no longer available."

Bill,

yes, the auction was ended by the seller, but the pictures and the description are still there. Just scroll down on the auction page. By clicking on the expired item you will be able to view it.

Edited by Peter Heinemann

• Premium Member

Bill,

yes, the auction was ended by the seller, but the pictures and the description are still there. Just scroll down on the auction page. By clicking on the expired item you will be able to view it.

Yes, I saw. Definitely shady. Maybe the seller received similar concerns as yours and decided to pull the item.