AFI Cinematography applicants, students, alumni

I wish I knew. All I know is I'm going in next Monday, which they said is their last day for interviews before they make their final decisions that Friday! The guy who called me was surprised, as I was, that I hadn't got called earlier. I guess it doesn't really matter.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dwight Reynols
I wish I knew.  All I know is I'm going in next Monday, which they said is their last day for interviews before they make their final decisions that Friday!  The guy who called me was surprised, as I was, that I hadn't got called earlier.  I guess it doesn't really matter.

Well good luck! Maybe someone who's been through the cinematography interview can offer you some advice, probable questions, etc.

Guest Phillip Lujan

Hi

I'm studying cinematography at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco. I first wanted to ask if anyone has heard of my school, and second I just wanted to say that I don't think that the school really makes the cinematographer. The school only gives you the tools to build upon the skills and talent that you already have. My school has an awesome equipment facility and I get pretty good use of all the equipment. You just have to have the passion and drive to learn from actually doing it.

Phil Lujan

Guest Dwight Reynols
I wish I knew.  All I know is I'm going in next Monday, which they said is their last day for interviews before they make their final decisions that Friday!  The guy who called me was surprised, as I was, that I hadn't got called earlier.  I guess it doesn't really matter.

Hey, jamerikaner . . . how'd it go today?

Hey, jamerikaner . . . how'd it go today?

I've just returned home from LA. The interview was great, nearly a full hour! I also sat in on a class where I met current fellows and viewed two thesis films. There are some extremely talented people at AFI. And believe me, I'm not easily impressed.

I am happy to tell you more and answer questions. Please email me at amerikan@berkeley.edu or reply to this post with your email address.

Peace.

PS

I'm told that finalists will be notified of their status this Friday! Best of luck to all.

Guest Dwight Reynols
Good luck to everybody here who's applying, gotta stay near the phone on Friday!  I'll post my news one way or another, maybe we could all post updates when we hear?

I take it they're calling people? Everyone, I wonder, or just those who were accepted?

I just received good news from Stephen Lighthill saying that I've been accepted into the cinematography program at AFI, got a phone call from him just a little while ago. Hopefully there will be more good news from some of other applicants on the board, good luck everybody!

In the excitement of posting I forgot to thank Jayson Crothers for talking with me when I came out to visit the school and Wendell Greene for his advice as well, thanks guys! I would also say that everyone on this board has been extremely helpful in sharing their time and helping me continue to learn, so thanks to everybody here also!

In the excitement of posting I forgot to thank Jayson Crothers for talking with me when I came out to visit the school and Wendell Greene for his advice as well, thanks guys!  I would also say that everyone on this board has been extremely helpful in sharing their time and helping me continue to learn, so thanks to everybody here also!

That makes two of us. Stephen called me this morning. What a week! I interviewed Monday and here it is Friday and I'm in. Can't wait to meet you this Fall. Thanks everyone. And for those that did not make it, don't give up, follow your dreams, and do what makes you happy.

Peace.

In the excitement of posting I forgot to thank Jayson Crothers for talking with me when I came out to visit the school and Wendell Greene for his advice as well, thanks guys!  I would also say that everyone on this board has been extremely helpful in sharing their time and helping me continue to learn, so thanks to everybody here also!

I don't know who you are and I know that should not matter but I was viewing all of the posts and wanted to congratulate you on you acceptance. I love the art of Photography and cinematography and applaude most everyone who attends and posts on this site. To everyone else who applied good luck and remember that its the light that matters just as much as the darkness.

Guest fstop

GUYS-

WELL DONE!!! Truly OUTSTANDING news- Jamerikaner, obviously we don't know much about you from your 11 posts (at the time of my posting) here, but all the best with this!- Mike, if your posts and your enthisuasm within those are anything to go buy this is much deserved GREAT news!

I'm elated hearing this wonderful news!!! 2005 is finally paying off!

• Premium Member

Congrats everybody! As Stephen's TA, I heard a bit about the applicants this year and the process of deciding acceptance - I can assure you that everyone who got in this year should be VERY proud because Stephen had a really hard time deciding!

I tip my hat to each of you and welcome you to AFI.

Congrats everybody!  As Stephen's TA, I heard a bit about the applicants this year and the process of deciding acceptance - I can assure you that everyone who got in this year should be VERY proud because Stephen had a really hard time deciding!

I tip my hat to each of you and welcome you to AFI.

Thanks Jayson. I was in Stephen's class last Tuesday. Were you the DP presenting the plans for your thesis? If yes, you did a great job. I know your busy but I would very grateful to learn about your AFI experience. You can email me at amerikan@berkeley.edu, or reply with your email address, if you would like to take this correspondence away from this forum. Thanks again.

All the best,

Jon Amerikaner

Congratulations guys! I haven't checked the boards in a while, and it's nice to see good news all around. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any more questions, or want to talk smack about Jayson.

In regards to Richard's questions from a long time ago.

The big question is, "Do you feel you got value for your money?"

How did AFI help you?  Training? Contacts? All of the above?

I'm just finishing my 1st year so it's way too soon to say whether it'll be a good financial investment. Having struggled for a trickle of work before attending AFI, I feel like it will be in the long run. I've learned a tremendous amount this year about all aspects of the art, craft and business. I also feel like the contacts I'm making will be very good in the long run, and hopefully some in the short run, but I'm certainly still expecting some lean years to come after graduation.

It is an expensive roll of the dice, and I had to think long and hard about it, but feel at this point that I've made a good decision. Ask me again in a few years and we'll see if I still feel the same. :)

-Rob Kraetsch

Guest Dwight Reynols

I'm in too, by the way. Did you all get your letters yet? I think they were mailed on Friday, but I haven't received mine yet. Either that, or someone who knows my phone # played a terrible joke on me :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a quick question on AFI - the first year seems to be just video. Somehow couldnt really figure that one out. When then do you get to experiment with lab processes, panavision cameras and all that great stuff one generally associates with an MFA cinematography program

Just a quick question on AFI - the first year seems to be just video. Somehow couldnt really figure that one out. When then do you get to experiment with lab processes, panavision cameras and all that great stuff one generally associates with an MFA cinematography program