Mysterium-X Red One Workflow

petersant

Hi All,

I'm about to start shooting my first digital short. As always the budget is low. However, I have the chance to shoot on a Mysterium-X Red One. This alone will eat up half the budget. Also, I have the option of using a set of Nikon primes (for free) or spend extra on a set of Zeiss Superspeeds.

My question is if I use both the RED and the Zeiss lenses I will have nothing left over for post. Forgive me for my ignorance but is it possible for me to do all the post at home on my stock standard MacBook Pro? I know the RED shoots proxy files that I can edit easily in FCP but can I conform using the RAW files with what I've got or am I dreaming?

If I save by using the Nikons that will leave some money for post but will my image be much worse off? I know the Nikons breath a bit but it's not really an issue as the camera will most always be moving and there is no major focus pulls.

So what do you suggest? Mysterium-X Red One with or without Nikons?????

• Premium Member

Forgive me for my ignorance but is it possible for me to do all the post at home on my stock standard MacBook Pro?

Yes, if slowly. Macs are just about the most expensive way to buy a not-very-fast computer; laptops are as well, and what you have there is both a mac and a laptop.

Really it comes down to what processes you want to do and how capable you feel of doing them, and how much time you feel like spending on it. If you're going to grade it, if you're enough of a colorist, then fine, but it depends how demanding a job it is.

Personally I'd shoot on the cheaper lenses unless you're convinced it'll be theatrically exhibited and you need that last zenith of sharpness. The difference would probably be visible side by side but frankly I find you're splitting hairs nobody is going to notice. And things like Red, which can be a bit clippy and harsh at the best of times, can actually benefit from, let's say, slightly smoother glass. It just won't be 4K anymore, but don't tell anyone that!

There are other issues with shooting stills glass, around focus pulling and other ergonomics considerations which may actually make more difference. If you can get a set of nikons that have been properly adapted for movie work, with focus gears and so on, that may be less of a concern.

P

Thanks for your advice. But just to complicate things a little further it will be mainly steadicam (the nikons fit the remote focus unit). I guess this won;t make a difference will it?

Also, does shooting with the Nikons make it not 4K anymore?? I'm confused, or did i misunderstand you?

Also, does shooting with the Nikons make it not 4K anymore?? I'm confused, or did i misunderstand you?

I think Phil is referring to the sharpness of the glass used affecting the final on screen resolution of the camera. You should test them to find out if the lenses give you the images you want for this film.