Light Against Dark, Dark Against Light

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I think it is really just the same idea. That is why it is so important to frame your shots accordingly. If the scene takes place at night, the contrasting light against dark is obviously a bit easier to achieve. A lot has to do with costume and set design, hence why films are a collaboration, we cannot do it all ourselves.

So basically to answer your question in my mind without any knowledge of how big of a movement, try to get to a location before hand to see the area you are working with (is it light or dark) then adjust costumes accordingly, then frame and light so as to accentuate the contrast. Hope it helps.

Nick

I just watched the movie "The Game", dir. by David Fincher. One of the better examples of this that I can recall--there's lots of running, walking through pools of light, etc--but it looks quite modern, not like a 40's detective story. Even the daylight exteriors and higher key interiors have a lot of atmosphere--often thanks to careful framing and yup, production design/wardrobe.