Overexposed sky

Rob Smith

Hi

Have just shot some footage with a 550d which has come back with the sky badly blown out. I exposed correctly for the person in the shot but this meant the sky was too bright. When graded the highlights are not salvageable.

What can I do when I film it again? For the shots I'm getting a graduated filter isn't really going to work. I shot using the neutral picture style, I've heard about the cinestyle profile, will changing the profile help?

Also the day we shot it was misty and the sky was naturally white with clouds as opposed to a clear blue sky.

Hope someone can help

If the contrast between your subject and the sky is beyond the capability of your camera to reproduce then one or the other has to be compromised. There are probably more options to increase the brightness of your subject (lighting, etc) than decrease the brightness of the sky.

• 1 month later...

If the sun is out (ie it's not totally overcast) you can often avoid blown out skies by shooting with the sun behind you, so the subject is lit by the sun and is bright enough to keep in the range of the camera with the sky.

• Premium Member

ND grads are great if you change your shot; Pola filters too might help darken up the sky depending upon your angle to the sun ect. But in reality you need to light up your subjects better or get something with a larger dynamic range.