How to view Scarlet footage on set

Will Phelps

Hey guys,

I am about to shoot a short on scarlet and am wondering what the easiest way for the DIT to dump the footage off the camera's hard drive and onto the computer and then watch it on the computer to make sure none of the footage is corrupted.

I know I can't just open up the red raw footage on my editor's mac, but what is the easiest way to just quickly watch a file on the onset computer (mac) just to make sure its not corrupted. Later we will do all the proper trans-coding and stuff, but I am just talking quick onset checks.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Hey guys,

I am about to shoot a short on scarlet and am wondering what the easiest way for the DIT to dump the footage off the camera's hard drive and onto the computer and then watch it on the computer to make sure none of the footage is corrupted.

I know I can't just open up the red raw footage on my editor's mac, but what is the easiest way to just quickly watch a file on the onset computer (mac) just to make sure its not corrupted. Later we will do all the proper trans-coding and stuff, but I am just talking quick onset checks.

Thanks!

Make your life easy and use Premiere Pro CS5.5.2 Just drop the .R3D files on the timeline. It doesn't get any easier.

• Premium Member

Use a Red Station to dump the footage to the hard drives. Use RedCine-X to view the R3D files.

Super simple. There are a ton of different ways to ingest the media, but once it gets to the computer (or you can review the footage off the SSDs), use RedCine-X or Red Cine Pro.

Hey guys,

Thanks!