Gel Windows

Joe Perri

Hey all,

So i work on this reality show and every so often we shoot at a location that requires us to ND windows. Its usually a pain in the but process to properly cut the gels to the size of the window and figure out how they are going to stick even in high winds. We usually wind up gaff or paper taping the gels to the windows. i personally find taping the gels rather cumbersome and was wondering if there is a more proper and efficient approach to gelling windows. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

For some reason I was under the impression you could also use water with a couple of drops of soap in it (soap helps with the surface tension.)

Does anyone know how well flat, clear soda sticks gel? Would it be strong enough to keep gel on a car that's on a process trailer? And are there anythings to worry about if the gel is close (like a side car window) to an actor's face...such as imperfections in the gel, how well you applied it, residue from the soda, etc.

Edited by Matthew Rogers

For cars, automotive window film works best. It has a built in adhesive. I have used a 50% mixture of sprite and water to stick ND to windows. Matthew is half right, a spray bottle with a soap mixture will allow a squeegie to slide along the outside of the film without pulling it out of place. So you use the sprite mixture between the film and the glass and the soap on the outside of the film. It's a tedious process, but works. Having proper tools and clean hands and moments laid out in advance in the schedule are key. Good luck

For cars, automotive window film works best. It has a built in adhesive. I have used a 50% mixture of sprite and water to stick ND to windows. Matthew is half right, a spray bottle with a soap mixture will allow a squeegie to slide along the outside of the film without pulling it out of place. So you use the sprite mixture between the film and the glass and the soap on the outside of the film. It's a tedious process, but works. Having proper tools and clean hands and moments laid out in advance in the schedule are key. Good luck

just not the interior of a bus window. ;) BTW chuck says hi.

Duke, Compound curves on glass with flat ND is a super pain! Heat gun and automotive film is the best bet! How many rolls did we go through on that show? Then Uncle D. called me in to do more on "Tough Trade". Tell Chuck to "Go Big!"

xoxoxo to your gurlz!