The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Scene

I love the lighting and color palette within this movie, but one scene, I particularly like a lot for my upcoming short film. It looks like they just used natural light through the windows, or blasted HMIs through it. Does anyone know exactly how this part was lit?

post-55427-0-47353400-1333487252.png

I love the lighting and color palette within this movie, but one scene, I particularly like a lot for my upcoming short film. It looks like they just used natural light through the windows, or blasted HMIs through it. Does anyone know exactly how this part was lit?

Without seeing any BTS pics it could be a number of things. I know from reading an article that they shot the majority on location. If I had to guess I'd say they either bounced daylight in through a window with a 12x or 8x frame of ultra bounce and ND'd the window behind the talent. Another possibility could have been shooting 2.5k + HMI light(s) through a large frame of diffusion directly to the talent's left. Most likely the scene was lit.

Without seeing any BTS pics it could be a number of things. I know from reading an article that they shot the majority on location. If I had to guess I'd say they either bounced daylight in through a window with a 12x or 8x frame of ultra bounce and ND'd the window behind the talent. Another possibility could have been shooting 2.5k + HMI light(s) through a large frame of diffusion directly to the talent's left. Most likely the scene was lit.

I would like to try both of these options out. I'm sure your right about one of them, if not both. They both would work great for that scene. Thanks for the reply, I'll see if I can replicate the look similarly by using one of your ideas.

I would like to try both of these options out. I'm sure your right about one of them, if not both. They both would work great for that scene. Thanks for the reply, I'll see if I can replicate the look similarly by using one of your ideas.

I agree with Jon, just a very large, soft source to camera right. It doesn't really look like any fill was added, just let the key source bounce around naturally.

Probably window light of some form like mentioned above, but if you're curious about your attached image only... It could be as simple as a kino flo through 4x4 diffusion (opal, 250) directly to camera right of the actor maybe 6' or more and slightly upstage from camera.

• 1 year later...