companies hiring ????

Paul Brenno

I wanted to post this due to some really frustrating experiencing finding work. I was laid off during the great recession in Aug 2009, am still looking for fulltime work. I'm a DP/Videographer/Editor. I've never seen the economy this bad and wonder who is hiring or if companies only hire locals ??

I live in a small town (my hometown) where video production is not taken seriously or talked about, since nothing is really done here, except for small time news. I have over 10 years experience in major markets from Houston to Denver, but in searching for work now, cannot seem to find anything.

Any encouraging words out there would be great....I know the economy still sucks, so I'm just wondering when we, who were laid off, will get back to work again ?

Thanks

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Listen. I like your post.. it's sincerely stupid. I pulled a few favors over at Sony and I got you a job at Columbia Pictures screen testing hot actresses. Email me for the details, congratulations, you're going to be super rich by this summer.

• Premium Member

I wanted to post this due to some really frustrating experiencing finding work. I was laid off during the great recession in Aug 2009, am still looking for fulltime work. I'm a DP/Videographer/Editor. I've never seen the economy this bad and wonder who is hiring or if companies only hire locals ??

I live in a small town (my hometown) where video production is not taken seriously or talked about, since nothing is really done here, except for small time news. I have over 10 years experience in major markets from Houston to Denver, but in searching for work now, cannot seem to find anything.

Any encouraging words out there would be great....I know the economy still sucks, so I'm just wondering when we, who were laid off, will get back to work again ?

Thanks

You may need to look at a career change; seeing if you can leverage your experience into some other workspace format, such as in-house corporate video. You need to use a bit of imagination, but remember in this interconnected age location isn't as important as it used to be.

About ten years ago, the Australian Film industry was devastated by changes in government policies and I was laid off in 2004. I struggled to get any sort of paid work for a couple of years, until I landed a job in the compliance testing lab of a consumer electronics retail chain. Then after 4 years that place started to show distinct signs of going down the gurgler, but the parent company took me on board, and now I work in an an amazing environment much closer to home, (with undercover parking :-), and in a couple of weeks I'm being sent to Hong Kong and China to help in their sourcing offices. I turn 60 in November, so it just goes to show that being laid off in middle age is not necessarily a death sentence. Another thing is that they seem to appreciate the fact that I haven't spent my entire working life working for the one company, unlike some of the people who came over with me....

The strange thing was that the three sh!t jobs I had to take before getting the first "real" job, all gave me valuable experience which I put to good use later in the job interviews. A little bit of experience can allow you to generate a lot of interview B.S. :rolleyes: