Shooting expired Vision 500T

John Mackey

Got a bunch of expired Kodak Vision 500T 7279 stock. As well as 320T and 250D, expired as well. Sent it to a lab for a clip test and the results D-Min were:

500T: R=.42, G=.96, and B=1.37 ND=.65

320T: R=.38 G=.85, and B=1.28 ND=.60

250D: R=.50 G=.86, and B=1.12 ND=.69

I plan to shoot night exteriors with the 500T and some night interiors, early morning.

They said to overexpose the film. How much overexposure? My lens only goes f 2.2. Should I keep the aperture open all the way all the time and then add some light? Trying to use as much natural streetlights as I can, but could I set up some Chinese lanterns around my subjects to compensate for the loss in quality of the film?

Well it depends on how bright your street is really, what time of year you are shooting, in a city or a town, what cycle is the moon when your shooting? f2.2 could be enough but again depends on all those variables - I don't shoot on film so I can't help you with that aspect but I guess the principle is the same, at 500ISO @ f2.2 you will probably need a decent amount of light I doubt just street lights and moon would suffice. Also you could push the film to a high EI rating but again I don't know if that would look like dog poop.

Probably better to shoot early evening/ late afternoon.

• 4 weeks later...

I think something that would be invaluable to do is just shoot some tests and over and under expose in half stops. you'll see exactly what the fogged film is capable of for your liking.