Aaton Digital Camera

Brian Drysdale

Just looked at the latest Aston sheet for the digital Penelope, no doubt just out for NAB.

http://www.aaton.com/files/delta-p_april-2012b.pdf

The interesting bit is how they're achieving the camera's lower ISO rating by using a multi slot shutter with a 100 ISO setting, so avoiding the use of ND filters. I was wondering how they were managing it. I expect there'll be a lot of testing for artifacts from this new arrangement.

• Premium Member

Just looked at the latest Aston sheet for the digital Penelope, no doubt just out for NAB.

http://www.aaton.com/files/delta-p_april-2012b.pdf

The interesting bit is how they're achieving the camera's lower ISO rating by using a multi slot shutter with a 100 ISO setting, so avoiding the use of ND filters. I was wondering how they were managing it. I expect there'll be a lot of testing for artifacts from this new arrangement.

The 100 ISO shutter looks like a very clever soloution.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like an amazing camera. delta_profile1_531_2.jpg

CCD eliminates rolling shutter issues.

http://www.aaton.com/products/film/delta/

The first optical viewfinder digital camera with an internal SSD recorder (DeltaPack*) for full rez CineDNG ucompressed RAW (the Adobe archival format based on open standards), and editorial-ready proxies.

* DeltaPack is compatible with the codex® backstage and post station workflow.

Lightweight: 7.5 kilos with internal recorder and two onboard 14V Li-Ion batteries. Two to five hours‘ autonomy; power dovetailing during changes.

Designed for earthlings, Delta respects Aaton‘s first commandment : Cat on the Shoulder profile, plus wide flat base for tripod. No eye-strain bright viewfinder with large peripheral coverage. . Rotating mirror shutter; no rolling shutter artifacts.

Main selector eliminates complex menu navigation and gives direct access to operating functions from both the operator and assistant sides.

Location sound-mixer friendly, Delta is noiseless in both record and pause ( 

Unlimited number of cascadable preset 3D LUTs for RAW metadata on one hand, and for on-set control screens on the other.

14 stop dynamic range Super35 Dalsa® CCD sensor, 800 and 100 ISO sensitivities (patent pending) eliminate the need for special anti-IR neutral density filters. 90% pixel-fill allows for wide angle lenses with short exit-pupil distance. 

• Premium Member

Do they state the sensor's native resolution anywhere? All I can find is:

"Dalsa® sensor’s 90% pixel-fill allows for 7K pixel sampling"

If you can afford the mirror shutter, Dalsa's simple 40-year-old CCD design still gives the best results, since almost the entire silicon area is used for photon capture, without the complication of microlenses.

Whats going on with those slits ?

I assume it's a means of reducing the amount of light passing through, without reducing the effective shutter angle. I guess it acts as a series of travelling slit shutters, which combine to provide the complete exposure.

• Premium Member

Does this mean that non-film movie cameras will finally be able to record red lights without them turning white and/or pink? Current digital nighttime street shots are already looking dated.

Any word on shipping dates or price?

I assume it's a means of reducing the amount of light passing through, without reducing the effective shutter angle. I guess it acts as a series of travelling slit shutters, which combine to provide the complete exposure.

Ah, ok - I (mis)read 'multi-shot' in your first post which got me thinking too much... Yup, I get it, and you've already touched on temporal aliasing issues which was my next thought.

• Premium Member

We also now need a new folder; clearly this doesn't fit in "Aaton Film".

Why not just "Aaton" since there aren't that many Aaton-related posts?

Or is that about to change...? :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting to find out theory behind that, it could be a perceived "dynamic" resolution over a number of frames as against a stand alone single frame resolution. The Camera records RAW, so there could be a bit of post processing going on.

Here are some test images:

http://www.marquise-tech.com/resources.html#tabs-5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...