Best way to black out an exterior window light?

Clay Hammons

Could you be more specific?

What light do you want to shine through the window. How big is the window, how far away from the window will the light be, etc.

Generally for tenting you want to get a frame slightly bigger then the window. So for a 6 foot window I would get an 8x, 3 8x solids for the sides and a 12x to drape over the top so you don't get light leaks.

You want to go with duve rather then grif because a hot light can melt plastic which will cost you in L&D.

• 1 month later...

Yeah use an 8x8 frame and solid with two beefy metal stands. Table it a few feet above the light and set against the wall. Hang duvetyne around the sides and tape or pony clip all the edges together. You can use visqueen if you must, but the price difference isn't much more than $75 and you get a deeper black and added safety of fire retardant material with duvetyne. Be sure the soft side is facing in.

Yeah use an 8x8 frame and solid with two beefy metal stands. Table it a few feet above the light and set against the wall. Hang duvetyne around the sides and tape or pony clip all the edges together. You can use visqueen if you must, but the price difference isn't much more than $75 and you get a deeper black and added safety of fire retardant material with duvetyne. Be sure the soft side is facing in.

I'm sure just picking up a 12x12 or 8x8 black solid you can make a round cocoon around the light, we've done it like this to block out daylight and have some red and blue lights in there (police lights through a window)

hi clay,

this is how i did it with two c stands and some speedrail...and a lot of clamps

hot lights can cause the window glass to crack if too close. i use the rule of

one metre for every 1000 watts.....so a 2k should be 2 metres from the window.

cheers

post-24290-0-18203300-1339111945.jpg