Choosing whip lengths for Focus Pulls

There are several different lengths available 3", 12" , 18" etc. How do you choose which ones you need for which situations? Initially I am only going to purchase one and am wondering what I should go with.

Thanks in advance!

I would rarely use a 3" except in some tight handheld situations like walking through a party type scene anything longer might get in the way, the longer lengths are important for walking alongside a dolly or small jib work. Dont over think this, if you are in a situation where your hand cannot reach the follow focus, an extension should be available to help you get control of the follow focus unit again. that's how you choose

• 3 weeks later...

I second this: Please do not buy the redrock whips. I consider them worse than nothing at all as they are far too bendable to have any accuracy. Arri ones are good.

Just don't go cheap and get the RedRock ones. They're far too flimsy and springy, so you don't have precise control over hitting your marks. The ones I've used even curl up if you got any quick pulls.

• 4 weeks later...

I use an 8 inch one nearly full time

i find it puts me in a better position as i tend to stand back more next to the operator so im able to see all the details on the lens flick my eyes up to the monitor which i place closer to the front of the camera facing back towards the operator and also flick my eyes across to set to see the action that were pointing at....

• 7 months later...