Avoiding Strobe with narrow shutter on F3

marshall rose

Im lighting tabletop with various jokers and litepanels. For some shots I need to shoot with my shutter at a 250th of a second or a 500th. When I use the lightpanels i don't get a strobbing effect (or at least a rolling bars effect) when shooting with narrow shutter. When I use the jokers I do. Sometimes I need to use the jokers depending on the situation. So anyway, whats the solution here? I've put the shutter in "angle" mode but i still can't find the exact right shutter speed to avoid the rolling bars effect. I know jokers need to be shot with shutters that are divisible by 3 or 4 cause the voltage frequency is 120, right? Anyone know a shutter angle i can use that gives me an exposure of about 250th and also one near a 500th that won't give me rolling bars when using HMIs?

thanks

• Premium Member

Im lighting tabletop with various jokers and litepanels. For some shots I need to shoot with my shutter at a 250th of a second or a 500th. When I use the lightpanels i don't get a strobbing effect (or at least a rolling bars effect) when shooting with narrow shutter. When I use the jokers I do. Sometimes I need to use the jokers depending on the situation. So anyway, whats the solution here? I've put the shutter in "angle" mode but i still can't find the exact right shutter speed to avoid the rolling bars effect. I know jokers need to be shot with shutters that are divisible by 3 or 4 cause the voltage frequency is 120, right? Anyone know a shutter angle i can use that gives me an exposure of about 250th and also one near a 500th that won't give me rolling bars when using HMIs?

thanks

Exposures of 1/500 will be a problem with small tungsten lights (2k or less) & HMI's may well arc. Anything over 96 / 100 fps can be problematical & you need to test what exactly works in the exact situation.

Exposures of 1/500 will be a problem with small tungsten lights (2k or less) & HMI's may well arc. Anything over 96 / 100 fps can be problematical & you need to test what exactly works in the exact situation.

anyone else got an answer?