Atomos Samurai Jam Syncing

Scott Imler

Hi we are shooting a multi camera series with Pansonic HDX 900s .Our producer does not want to record to tape so hence the Samurais. So we want to record only on the Samurais but have a question about jam syncing our time code so all three samurais have the same timecode.

I know we can jam sync the cameras and then send that time code to the Samurai. My question is if the cameras are on free run can we still stop/start the Samarai or will the running time code from the camera trigger it to always want to record???? IN other words we cant stop the recording on the Samurai??? Is that a true statement??

I read on line that the new firmware now allows the Samurai to be triggered with "SDI recording flags" which is independent of timecode?

If that is the case I assume that in order to use that the camera will need a tape in it which we are trying to avoid as we will end up with hundreds of shot tapes we do not need.

I guess in a nutshell my simple question is can we jam sync 3 of the Samurai units with out having to record on tape in our HDX 900s.

I think the new firmware out tomorrow may help you out.

Hi we are shooting a multi camera series with Pansonic HDX 900s .Our producer does not want to record to tape so hence the Samurais. So we want to record only on the Samurais but have a question about jam syncing our time code so all three samurais have the same timecode.

I know we can jam sync the cameras and then send that time code to the Samurai. My question is if the cameras are on free run can we still stop/start the Samarai or will the running time code from the camera trigger it to always want to record???? IN other words we cant stop the recording on the Samurai??? Is that a true statement??

I read on line that the new firmware now allows the Samurai to be triggered with "SDI recording flags" which is independent of timecode?

If that is the case I assume that in order to use that the camera will need a tape in it which we are trying to avoid as we will end up with hundreds of shot tapes we do not need.

I guess in a nutshell my simple question is can we jam sync 3 of the Samurai units with out having to record on tape in our HDX 900s.

I think the new firmware out tomorrow may help you out.

Care to elaborate?? I hope it involves a method to roll remotley with a LANC line so you do not have to have tape in camera. I know we can roll from the unit its self but thats not practical when handheld. My understanding with the 2 lanc ports is currently you need 2 cables to "complete the circuit" One is the lanc line with a remote roll button that goes into the Samurai in lanc and then a second one that goes from the samurai out lanc to your lens. I am not sure if Cannon EFP lenses are compatible with this set up? IT sems like they should have made this possible with just one cable with a remote button on the Lanc In?????

I like the unit but this is one area that I am still not happy about. Remote rolling with no tape in camera!

Thanks Bob will await the firmware upgrade.