A Matter of Life & Death

Hi Everybody.

My name is Milad and I’m an Iranian student Cinema in Italy. In few days I’m going to shoot a long film.

This is the only chance that university is giving me and I’m putting all my life into this project: my money, my academic career and my staying in this country. This project is matter of life and death to me. The university is giving me canon XH A1. I have read all the things about this camera here and there. But I got very important questions to ask.

My film will have some very important close up shots. (Mainly close up of faces).

Here are my questions:

1. I know that for that film look it’s better to shoot in 24p (which in this canon is called 24F). but I read that in 24p you will have jerky slow motion. Is it possible to shoot all the normal scenes in 24F and the slo motion scenes in 60i and then have it slowed down to 24p? will there be obvious difference between these two when you see them in the final result?

2. some people say 60i is the best for the slow motion…but some other tell me interlaced is not good for this purpose…

3. They tell me that working in post in 24p is hard even for normal speed shots…

4. for the film look they suggest double of the frame rate. (24p with 1/48 or 1/50). But also they tell me higher shutter speed is best for slow motions…

Please help me… what frame rate and shutter speed should I use for ALL this film… THIS IS AS IMPORTANT AS LIFE TO ME…

(P.S. this camera is bought in Europe so it also has 25f/50i option, a editor here told me to shoot all the film in this mode…)