• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Probably working quite a bit"

You got INS permits to work?

I thought you where opposed to "working under the table?"

Richard

Will you be telling the INS upon your arrival in the USA, that you are there to:

"install some stuff for a company based in London"

If you do watch for hassels from the INS, they will consider that "work" even if you are being paid by a foreign based company. Lots of my friends try to go across the border from Canada for the purpose of working for a Canadian company doing business with a US company. ie setting up computers etc etc.

They get turned back by the INS on a regular basis.

If you're going to LA to baby sit kids or run a leaf blower, no problem. Any thing else, watch it.

Just some advice based on lots of experience in dealing with the INS.

Richard

Will you be telling the INS upon your arrival in the USA, that you are there to:

"install some stuff for a company based  in London.."

...If you're going to LA to baby sit kids or run a leaf blower, no problem.  Any thing else, watch it.

Richard

What's all this bigotry and immigrant-bashing in a Cinematography forum?

Do you even know a gardener or a nanny? Are you suggesting that they have the easy life in the U.S? You have no $%*! idea. Believe me, I'm all for legal immigration, but to imply that these people get a free ticket into the U.S. and are not persecuted is just plain ignorant. I'm not sure if you are American or Canadian (it doesn't show in your profile), but it is evident that your observations are very simplistic and completely unfounded.

Well of course for some very strange reason, you clear US customs while on Canadian soil when you fly into the USA. No idea why this is? It sure as heck doesn't work the other way around.

Since you're still in Canada when you meet with them it's a lot easier for them to tell some one they can't enter for what ever reason. Since they can just get back in their car and drive home.

If they deny you entry when you arrive on US soil now it's a big hassel for them. They have to detain you some place while a flight back to your home country is arranged. It's a much bigger production number.

Richard

• Premium Member
Hi,

Looks like I'll be in LA for a week from Saturday. Probably working quite a bit, but would consider it a priviledge to meet anyone who's up for a beer one evening.

Phil

I should have some time that week. I think it would be great if we could get a small group together somewhere.

I think you have my email, or at least you can reach me through Bill T.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Well the place I'm staying is at 5551 West 6th st. I have less than no idea where that is, other than that it's a 25 minute drive from Universal City Plaza.

Likely to be freest later in the week, so can we all do something Wednesday?

Phil

A party for "film geeks".

Can I come and bring my video camera to shoot what I feel will be the next big hit in reality TV?

Richard

PS: My apologies, I mean can I bring my 35mm FILM camera to film this gathering.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> That's nearby the tar pits/Moca. Maybe a get together at the Grove/Farmer's Market?

> Lots of food options, and good movie theater...

Sounds good, in an "I have no idea what that means" way.

I have to go jump on a plane now... and the Heathrow express isn't running, natch.

Phil

Edited by Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member
Hi,

> That's nearby the tar pits/Moca. Maybe a get together at the Grove/Farmer's Market?

> Lots of food options, and good movie theater...

Sounds good, in an "I have no idea what that means" way.

Of course I meant LACMA (LA County Museum of Art), not MOCA. :rolleyes: It was late.

Farmer's Market is a well-known semi-open air market for everything food related, including vendors of pretty much every ethnic food type. Adjascent to that is an open-air shopping center called The Grove, set up kind of like a pedestrian main street. It's in the middle of the city and central to everyone in the LA area.

map:

http://www.hollywood.com/showtimes/map.asp...3D3%2F19%2F2005

movies:

http://www.thegrovela.com/welcome_to_the_g..._nowshowing.php