Akeelah and the Bee

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Roger Ebert & Richard Roeper gave "Akeelah and the Bee" "two thumbs way up" today.

Congratulations to David Mullen and his entire crew!

When they recapped the movies they reviewed after the break, they fawned all over "Akeelah" again. Including saying they REALLY hope the film does well with audiences. I think it was Roger who said it was one of the best films of the year. The clips they showed are gorgeous. It's real educational to read your post David about how you did a particular scene after having just seen it in a clip. I intend to catch the movie when it comes out here, come home, and read all of your posts. More film school on the cheap! Watch the film, read the Master's concordance.

Starbucks has Akeelah and the Bee coasters with the title on one side and a spelling word on the other. Great marketing idea.

Friend of mine interviewed the head of Starbuck's entertainment division for CBS 60 Minutes and apparently Starbucks' financial relationship in the film is entirely 'publicity'. They get points on the moviewith NO investment.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I just saw a glowing report on it, including interviews from the premiere, on a quite mind-meltingly shallow entertainment show called "inside hollywood" or something. Looks like it's being pushed quite hard.

Although chief starlet couldn't spell a word given to her by the interviewer...

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

finally saw this movie yesterday with my wife and son. MAN did i cry thru the whole movie!!! im such a punk! :-) i mean it was a very powerful message in the movie and the ending was intense!!!!!!! david, kudos on your work. it was also cool to understand what you guys went thru to get certain shots beforhand. armed with this knowledge it made the show even more exciting to watch!

being black myself, its about time there is a movie that shows blacks other than being shot up and robbing/killing or riding around showing gold teeth, etc...

"fish" (lawrence fisburn..) did an OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!! job. angela bassett was OK but not stellar. kede and fish were awesome together. she will go places...

again, great job Dave. people take for granted what goes thru to make a movie. the lens flares were cool, especially the blue "venetian blind" type flares you were getting (which i think you said were a mistake?).

good work...

P.S. next low budget film you do you have to hire me as A/Steadicam! :rolleyes:

Edited by Marc_Abernathy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
This trailer will ensure that the movie flops......hints at none of that.

Why is so glossy anyway? That implies comedy to me as well.

It seems to me that it's time for some crow eating.

The last time I looked at IMDBpro, they had "Akeelah's" gross at over $18,000,000. And I assume you saw some of the absolutely fawning revues when the movie came out. I particularly liked Roger Ebert's fervently expressed wish that the movie "find an audience". With $18 million in the bank it kinda looks like it did.

No, it wasn't in the $150 million gross league but you know, if I was the fifteenth assistant PA on a production that made $18 million, I'd feel I'd been part of a pretty darn successful movie.