Cine Tape Measure

Is tape measure absolutely necessary for focusing? I am shooting with an Eclair NPR with a prime lens. Is it something I could do without? I'm sure it helps, but if I can do without it, I'd rather not use it.

Is tape measure absolutely necessary for focusing? I am shooting with an Eclair NPR with a prime lens. Is it something I could do without? I'm sure it helps, but if I can do without it, I'd rather not use it.

Tech is nice. I personally wouldn't trust it 100% although I've never used Cine Tape so my opinion is not based on experience using it. I do just fine getting my marks with distances. I believe in using all the tools available so I'm sure it can't hurt to have Cine Tape to confirm your distances. From what I've seen it mounts to the top of the camera system so it seems to add some profile and weight to the build which might be a disadvantage in some scenarios. Not sure how it works but i figure it works just fine until the target steps out of the viewing plane of the Cine Tape unless it has a wide coverage.

• Premium Member

With all respect, it's for your focus puller, not for you. Having said that, it's not nessesary but it is quite helpful.

G

Hopefully I'm not too off-base here, I'm not a focus puller, but from talking to focus pullers that I have worked with the cinetape is a nice spot check, and can be really helpful in some situations. Focus pullers that I work with still get measurements and marks as much as possible. From what I gather, it seems as though you can develop a sense for when the cinetape is "on target" and when you probably shouldn't trust it (should you ever "trust" it?).

Edit to add:

In my opinion, the cine tape is really light weight and compact, and offers a lot of advantage for such a small package. But then again, I'm a 2nd AC so take it with a grain of salt.....

Edited by Patrick Lavalley

• 1 month later...

A cinetape is just a reference tool for focus puller. It's great help, espacially when you are handheld or steadycam but you still have to pull focus the same way as if you don't have one. If you only rely on it you will always be late on focus. Use it as a reference tool, nothing more or else you'll get burned.

Hopefully I'm not too off-base here, I'm not a focus puller, but from talking to focus pullers that I have worked with the cinetape is a nice spot check, and can be really helpful in some situations. Focus pullers that I work with still get measurements and marks as much as possible. From what I gather, it seems as though you can develop a sense for when the cinetape is "on target" and when you probably shouldn't trust it (should you ever "trust" it?).

Edit to add:

In my opinion, the cine tape is really light weight and compact, and offers a lot of advantage for such a small package. But then again, I'm a 2nd AC so take it with a grain of salt.....

You resumed it perfectly !