The Master in 65mm!

The Master, the new film from Paul Thomas Anderson (There will be Blood, Magnolia) is on the way, the blog is showing 65mm negative being cut!

The first feature film entirely shot on 65mm since over 15 years! What took so long, people are tired of "good enough", something they can comfortably achieve at home with a simple blu-ray... This is how it's done properly!

I think the movie will be released in October, a trailer should be there soon! Cannot wait!

I'm really looking forward to this. PTA is one of my favorite directors and I love 65mm. Doubt I'll be able to see a 70mm projection though, I'll probably have to settle for 35 or a digital projection.

Edited by Ian Maguire
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I'm really looking forward to this. PTA is one of my favorite directors and I love 65mm. Doubt I'll be able to see a 70mm projection though, I'll probably have to settle for 35 or a digital projection.

According to the There Will Be Blood article in AC a while back, everything is film with Anderson (including work-prints for editing.)

My kind of filmmaker.

According to the There Will Be Blood article in AC a while back, everything is film with Anderson (including work-prints for editing.)

My kind of filmmaker.

Yes, but I can't imagine the studios will only release film prints after so many theaters have converted to digital projection. Christopher Nolan is big on contact-printed anamorphic just like Anderson, but the second time I saw Inception all the theaters around me had 2k digital projections only. I guess I shouldn't complain, I'm eager to see The Master regardless of how it's projected.

I am not convinced that this has been shot in 65mm ! If it had been i would have expected a lot of hype from Panavision and Kodak . I hope i am wrong .

This is actually the very first official information about the movie, we will see more in the future.

A few thousand dollars more on film stock (5perf instead of 2/3/4perf) and skilled people to do an optical print efficiently which also saves money compared to an DI (I guess we don't have lots of CGI...) or hundreds of hours spend in post to make it appear halfway film-like... Yes, the cameras are more cumbersome but I still don't get it why 2012 200M$-movies don't even have reach the technical quality of blockbusters shot 50 years ago...

• 1 month later...

The Trailer is finally out! (in 3D!)

Wow, 65mm on Youtube :blink: I hope there will be more than one 70mm-print, otherwise it will propably end up heavily damaged in Berlin just in time to honour PTAs 100th birthday @ Berlinale 2070... ;)

Or Scientology will burn all prints... :unsure:

Edited by georg lamshöft