What lights to not point straight up or down?

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much as Victor says, if you point a fresnel straight up the heat can't escape through the lens (which can cause it to crack when it gets too hot); and if you point straight down, you get the same problem with the reflector - which will warp, melt, catch fire or explode, depending on mood.

I think the newer Arri true blue stuff has better airflow/more resistant materials so it's less of a problem. Also, K5600 fresnels tend to use ceramic reflectors so you can point them straight down with impunity. Can't point them straight up though, as the lens is still a problem.

pretty sure this applies to all fresnels, I heard it referenced as an elementary mistake one time. Probably because heat rises, and the fixtures cant allow the heat to escape properly at those angles. But I could be wrong.

Pretty much as Victor says, if you point a fresnel straight up the heat can't escape through the lens (which can cause it to crack when it gets too hot); and if you point straight down, you get the same problem with the reflector - which will warp, melt, catch fire or explode, depending on mood.

I think the newer Arri true blue stuff has better airflow/more resistant materials so it's less of a problem. Also, K5600 fresnels tend to use ceramic reflectors so you can point them straight down with impunity. Can't point them straight up though, as the lens is still a problem.

Thanks, I figured as much. I'm curious now, does this also apply to the bulb? Will the bulb cause issues if its operated on its side, or maybe upside down?

And what type of rigging would you use say you wanted a light to be pointed straight down? I've never come across something like this

And what type of rigging would you use say you wanted a light to be pointed straight down? I've never come across something like this

I've pointed a light straight down on a number of occasions. It's pretty easy to do with the smaller wattage light, but you'll need something to suspend the light from, say a polecat for lighter units, something more substantial for heavier lights. Although my use was with smaller units, it's best not to keep the light burning for long periods, just long enough for a take.

I'm curious now, does this also apply to the bulb? Will the bulb cause issues if its operated on its side, or maybe upside down?

You would generally want to keep the heat away from the the globe's mount, so it's best not to burn them upside down. You might also risk damaging the focusing mechanism. As for sideways I couldn't see it being a huge problem, probably wouldn't want to do it for too long though, as you're still subjecting the mount to additional heat.

You would generally want to keep the heat away from the the globe's mount, so it's best not to burn them upside down. You might also risk damaging the focusing mechanism. As for sideways I couldn't see it being a huge problem, probably wouldn't want to do it for too long though, as you're still subjecting the mount to additional heat.

Ok thanks, I've been attempting to build a lantern out of some spare arri parts, I'll make it with the bulb upright. This is just a DIY project (maybe to make some profit out of), I'm still looking at chimera lanterns!