China Ball/Lantern w/ Halogen bulb (650w-1000w)

Hi, I bought off a busted up arri650 from a guy just to take out the electronic components, and had a broken china-arri-knockoff 1k with the electronic parts in it too. I'm curious, but if I get a big enough china ball and have the 650w and 1000w halogen bulb hanging in the middle. Would that work? Is there another type of lantern I should use aside from paper. Something inside I should put to make it somewhat heat resistant, maybe a spray?

I know the chimera ones are nicely built, I've been looking into one or two of those, but would still like to try to make a DIY just for fun.

Any ideas?

• Premium Member

Hi, I bought off a busted up arri650 from a guy just to take out the electronic components, and had a broken china-arri-knockoff 1k with the electronic parts in it too. I'm curious, but if I get a big enough china ball and have the 650w and 1000w halogen bulb hanging in the middle. Would that work? Is there another type of lantern I should use aside from paper. Something inside I should put to make it somewhat heat resistant, maybe a spray?

I know the chimera ones are nicely built, I've been looking into one or two of those, but would still like to try to make a DIY just for fun.

Any ideas?

If the lantern is big enough, and you put a dimmer line in to keep it low or off when not shooting, you should be fine with a 650w globe, but you may want a lantern lock type set-up so that the bulb does not swing around inside. There are also Muslin balls and Chimera Balls on the market which may be more fire-resistant.

If the lantern is big enough, and you put a dimmer line in to keep it low or off when not shooting, you should be fine with a 650w globe, but you may want a lantern lock type set-up so that the bulb does not swing around inside. There are also Muslin balls and Chimera Balls on the market which may be more fire-resistant.

Thanks! I've been thinking of doing more of a prototype with just coper wire to hold the bulb in the center, then later on designing something more rigid out of aluminum.

I'll look into the Muslin one. The chimeras are great, but I'd like to keep the DIY aside from the actual gear to avoid damaging a precious chimera ball