Release Lightworks NLE Available

Brian Drysdale

• 4 weeks later...

The latest public beta of Lightworks, version 11.1e,, is available for testing. A number of features are only available on the Pro version (this includes 64bit).

New Lightworks Version 11.1.e Now Available as Public Beta

New features include updated installer to include latest Sentinel RTE (6.51), which allows installation on Windows 8

MP4/AVCHD (MTS/M2TS) media to be imported into the Free version as transcode only.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lightworks 11.2
At NAB 2013, EditShare will be previewing the new Mac OS X version of Lightworks.

http://broadcastengineering.com/nab-2013-editshare-unveils-major-upgrades-across-entire-line-end-end-tapeless-workflow-products

Also, a training certification program for Lightworks will also be introduced later this year.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lightworks have announced 30th April as target release date for releasing V11.1

http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=42353&Itemid=81

30th April is also the launch date for the public beta of the Linux version.

They're also close to announcing the Alpha program for the Mac version. Anyone interested would be advised to keep a close eye on the Lightworks web site, because places testing the Linux alpha went extremely quickly.

I did a bit of editing The Wonderful World of OZ on the beta. Thought I'd give it a go to see how the environment compared to my Premiere Pro CS6. To be honest, I don't like it. It offers nothing more than any other editing software (in fact, much much less). It's nice that it's free though. For a free product, it sure beats Windows Moviemaker. BUT, for a professional solution I find it really limited in what it can do.

It might be great if your shooting film and just offline editing to an edl to cut later - but if your plan is to go any kind of digital workflow your much better off sticking to CS6/Vegas.

The release Lightworks V11 Pro version offers a lot more than than the old public beta V 10, with the licensed codecs now being available and various export options. Even the current free version has many features and some professional editors are using it on commercial work.

For long form work Lightworks has real advantages over Vegas, which has a number of limitations. If I was editing a feature film, I'd use Lightworks over Vegas, although the latter (because of its background) has advantages for sound editing. From an editing viewpoint, Lightworks strength is in narrative or story telling, rather than digital effects, although it can do enough for anyone not needing After Effects.

In the end. it really comes down to what works for you, Lightworks is just another option. There are people who prefer using Lightworks over Premiere, however, LW isn't a full suite, it's an editing program and professional editors use it with other software. Some of them use Lightworks in combination with other NLEs. using each program to its strengths.

There is a lot of ongoing work by developers formerly from AVID and Quantel, so I wouldn't expect Lightworks to be standing still in the professional market. There are over 450,000 users registered on their web site, how that breaks down is hard to tell, but there are over 300,000 downloads of the User Guide and downloads of the drivers for the Lightworks console have been increasing.

That is true. Many people enjoy editing on an Avid, which I hate terribly from the little I have used them. Each environment is suitable for someone. For me, I found LWKS to be a bit off-putting, this is probably more to do with my using the other programs for a long time. I have come to get use to the way they work and then being introduced into a new environment is difficult to become accustomed too. I'm actually going to go back and download the stable release and check it out once more. I'm, curious to see what was changed from the Beta (circa Jan 2013).

I'm not quite sure which beta you're referring to, there's a currently a beta for V11.1, which would fit with Jan 2013. For a couple of years there was the V10 Lightworksbeta. There is currently a release version 11.0.3, which is due to be replaced by v11.1 at the end of next month.

The free version is limited in the codecs it can use, however, by using EyeFrame converter found in the forum, many codecs can be transcoded.The annual subscription Pro version is the fully featured version that allows use of the codecs and has other features. The current free version V11.1 beta now transcodes some of the codecs found on consumer & DSLR cameras.

Lightworks is very flexible and there are a number of ways you can use it. However, the user interface does look different to the other NLEs, so it's best to look at the tutorial videos and play around with how you can use the bins, create edits etc..It auto saves everything, so you won't lose anything.

There are a number of new on line Lightworks tutorials available these are additional to the tutorials found on the Lightworks web site ( http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69&Itemid=192 ). The subjects include installing, an introduction and using the bins. ;

RedShark News - New bite-sized video tutorials from the Lightworks Team

Public beta version 11.1H has been released.

http://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=44460&Itemid=81#44460

The release version has a target date of 30th April and work has started on version 11.2, which I assume won't be too far away.

The Linux version is due for public beta on the same date.

The release version 1.1.1 has been delayed possibly until the second week in May. There are some remaining unresolved issues that were found in the public betas.

I gather the upcoming 11.2 version will handle 4K, the current versions only do RED at these resolutions.

More Shark Byte video tutorials are up. Unfortunately, these are currently separate from the Lightworks web site:

There's a link to sample footage that you can experiment with

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• 2 weeks later...

The new public beta is 11.1L is available for testing. This has the new EditShare Licensing (ELS), which they hope will avoid the issues that HASP was causing for some people.

New Lightworks Version 11.1.l Now Available as Public Beta

To coincide with the upcoming new release and the new licensing Editshare are introducing for the first time a 30 day Pro Trial license allowing users to experience the full power of Lightworks Pro.

28th May remains the target date for the release 11.1.

Edited by Brian Drysdale