Double-X and Tri-X HDCAM Technicolor Transfer

Christian Wilfong

• Premium Member

Great work.

Cinematography, editing, sound & story was an excellent effort.

Love the look of Double-X but it isn't compression friendly. I'm sure the ProRes or uncompressed files looked awesome. All the grain makes the compressor go nuts and leads to those blocky artifacts. Wish Vimeo had an alternative compression scheme for grainy film.

Great work.

Cinematography, editing, sound & story was an excellent effort.

Love the look of Double-X but it isn't compression friendly. I'm sure the ProRes or uncompressed files looked awesome. All the grain makes the compressor go nuts and leads to those blocky artifacts. Wish Vimeo had an alternative compression scheme for grainy film.

Thanks Will,

I appreciate your kind comments. Glad you enjoyed the film.

You're so right about the compression. I wish everyone could see the uncompressed file I have; The grain does look beautiful when it is not reduced to digital, compression mud.

-Christian

• 5 months later...

Have you thought about making a print? I'm sure you didn't cut negative but maybe you could just make a print of one of your work reels just to see it projected. I think AlphaCine still makes prints from B&W negatives...

That would be really cool Will. I'd love to see it printed. I'm actually shooting another project on 16mm now for a friend of mine. We're using Fuji Eterna 500T. So right now all of our extra cash is going into that.

Again though it would be really great to go back to film after making our HD edit. I think for now though the limits of our budget provide for capture on film but ultimately presentation in the digital domain.

I’ll be holding on to the original negatives of course so it is possible some day for me to make a work print.

Also I checked out the film you shot on 35mm Double X. It’s amazing to see how much finer the grain is in 35mm. It’s a completely different look.

I’d love to shoot 35mm sometime before it goes away.

Thanks for the continued interest.

• Premium Member

If you want to try a film out, talk to these guys...

http://www.videofilmsolutions.com

Tom that runs the place has great pricing on 2K and HD Spirit transfers as well as the most inexpensive film-outs I've seen. They also do processing of color negative and b&w. I think they are associated with Movielab which is a big old lab in Maryland.

• Upvote 1