Post Your Film Stock Examples

I started this thread so people can see what different film stocks look like without doing test shoots of their own. For student or low budget shoots sometimes testing is not possible.

This could be the next best thing. Please try to be as specific as you can in your posts regarding the camera used, the film format, stock and transfer.

Kodak Double X 16mm

All the 16x9 shots are Double-X as well as all the 4x3 footage with the girl in the flashbacks. The 16x9 footage was shot on a Aaton XTR Prod (Super 16mm) with Zeiss Ultra Primes.

The 4x3 footage was shot on a Bolex Rex 5 with a retro focus 10mm lens

Kodak Tri-X 16mm

All the 4x3 shots of the main character drinking were shot on Kodak Tri-x reversal film on a Bolex Rex 5. You can tell the difference in the footage because it has more contrast and it is less grainy than the Double-X

All footage was processed normally at PAC LAB NYC and transferred to HDCAM tape at Technicolor New York

http://vimeo.com/30339692

P.S. If anyone has examples of Fuji 16mm ETERNA 500 I would love to have it posted. I'm thinking of using it for an upcoming film and I'm not sure if we'll have the money to do a test shoot.

Hope this thread is helpful to people

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FUJI 250T EXAMPLE

May not be the best example of the stock...as it was damaged before I bought it...lesson learned...but fresh stock...or know it's history...you'll see a slight shift in color..it cycles from green to magenta

But it should give you some idea of grain and latitude.

AATON XTR

COOKE ZOOM 9-50

NO CC FILTER

SHOT 25/4/SPLIT

https://vimeo.com/46914629

Edited by Kip Kubin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I started this thread so people can see what different film stocks look like without doing test shoots of their own. For student or low budget shoots sometimes testing is not possible.

This could be the next best thing. Please try to be as specific as you can in your posts regarding the camera used, the film format, stock and transfer.

Kodak Double X 16mm

All the 16x9 shots are Double-X as well as all the 4x3 footage with the girl in the flashbacks. The 16x9 footage was shot on a Aaton XTR Prod (Super 16mm) with Zeiss Ultra Primes.

The 4x3 footage was shot on a Bolex Rex 5 with a retro focus 10mm lens

Kodak Tri-X 16mm

All the 4x3 shots of the main character drinking were shot on Kodak Tri-x reversal film on a Bolex Rex 5. You can tell the difference in the footage because it has more contrast and it is less grainy than the Double-X

All footage was processed normally at PAC LAB NYC and transferred to HDCAM tape at Technicolor New York

http://vimeo.com/30339692

P.S. If anyone has examples of Fuji 16mm ETERNA 500 I would love to have it posted. I'm thinking of using it for an upcoming film and I'm not sure if we'll have the money to do a test shoot.

Hope this thread is helpful to people

Here's an updated link to my original video.

Please post more!