Getting your Foot in the Door

Hello cinematographers!

I am new here so sorry if this has been posted already. I had a look for a similar post but couldn’t find one.

I have recently graduated with an Art and Design degree (UK) and I’m now on the job hunt. I have a few leads and contacts and have looked at a few jobs, but I have nothing concrete.

I have made one short film, but have only decided that in the past year and a half that going into film is what I want to do. Needless to say, I don’t have much experience. My plan for the next three years is to build up a portfolio and apply of the NFTS and see where I go from there. Alternatively, I will build up a portfolio of work anyway and just work my way up through jobs. The problem is actually finding a job.

From the jobs I have seen advertised, they are either bottom of the pile and not very related to what I want to do but paid, or they are jobs related to what I want to get into but lo/no deferred pay. Some of these advertisements with jobs I would want to do also seem ridden with spelling mistakes and are quite informal, making it difficult to decipher which jobs are worth applying to. I’m in a bit of a muddle.

I don’t mind doing voluntary work if it will get me somewhere, but would prefer paid work as I have bills to pay and I want to save money for film school.

Has anyone got any advice? What should I look out for in job advertisements? Is it worth getting a temp job while looking for other things? Is there any jobs in film that you could recommend for me (I would do running but I can’t seem to find many advertised). What about moving to other areas for work?

Also if you are interested, here is a link to my short film and another to my blog. Any advice, criticisms or compliments are welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ27A-MtK6Q

http://www.pjscottentertainment.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks for reading!

Peter, in regards to finding work, one of the things I've learned from being in this business.....take any job you can, since you WILL get experience (maybe get paid) but any job you take with be more than what you had...Learn from ANY position, that way the producers or other crew will see how good to are you to work and be able to network, maybe get offered more work or even fulltime work....talk to TV stations or video production companies to even professionals in your area, introduce yourself to them....volunteer your time on the crew, take the poop jobs to learn and again, to meet and network...

Hello cinematographers!

I am new here so sorry if this has been posted already. I had a look for a similar post but couldn’t find one.

I have recently graduated with an Art and Design degree (UK) and I’m now on the job hunt. I have a few leads and contacts and have looked at a few jobs, but I have nothing concrete.

I have made one short film, but have only decided that in the past year and a half that going into film is what I want to do. Needless to say, I don’t have much experience. My plan for the next three years is to build up a portfolio and apply of the NFTS and see where I go from there. Alternatively, I will build up a portfolio of work anyway and just work my way up through jobs. The problem is actually finding a job.

From the jobs I have seen advertised, they are either bottom of the pile and not very related to what I want to do but paid, or they are jobs related to what I want to get into but lo/no deferred pay. Some of these advertisements with jobs I would want to do also seem ridden with spelling mistakes and are quite informal, making it difficult to decipher which jobs are worth applying to. I’m in a bit of a muddle.

I don’t mind doing voluntary work if it will get me somewhere, but would prefer paid work as I have bills to pay and I want to save money for film school.

Has anyone got any advice? What should I look out for in job advertisements? Is it worth getting a temp job while looking for other things? Is there any jobs in film that you could recommend for me (I would do running but I can’t seem to find many advertised). What about moving to other areas for work?

Also if you are interested, here is a link to my short film and another to my blog. Any advice, criticisms or compliments are welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ27A-MtK6Q

http://www.pjscottentertainment.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks for reading!

• Premium Member

Sigh, I'm getting tired of having to make this post, but here we go again:

The bottom line is that unless you have the option to go and work in the US (and unless you have a parent who's American, or an American girlfriend you can marry, you don't), you are not going to have a career in film. Do not, whatever you do, waste money on film school in the UK. Filmmaking here is a fringe artform at best, not a business, and not a career.

A lot of people will argue with me about this, mostly people who live in places where it is much easier, but I'm giving you the best information I have. There really is no "British film industry", there's a few films a year made for the big American studios (the Bond stuff, Harry Potter as was) and then there's people like you and I doing it on a shoestring. If you are realistic enough to recognise that you are highly unlikely ever to get near a Bond movie, you will realise there's almost nothing else going on, certainly not enough to pay for a house and a pension and the other minor things you might feel you're entitled to.

And that's what it was like before the financial disaster we're currently living through.

This is probably hard to hear, but it's important that you have all the information: the UK film industry, such as it exists at all, will not make you a living unless you are so lucky that you might as well apply to be an astronaut - you'd have far better chances.

Sorry, but there it is.

P

Sigh, I'm getting tired of having to make this post, but here we go again:

The bottom line is that unless you have the option to go and work in the US (and unless you have a parent who's American, or an American girlfriend you can marry, you don't), you are not going to have a career in film.

Sigh, I'm getting tired of having to make this post, but here we go again.

Thousands of film school grads in the USA are "flipping burgers." Only a very small percentage will actually have a career in film that allows them to live a decent middle class lifestyle. So coming to the USA will not be the magical panacea Phil describes it to be. You can be just as un-employed in the USA as you can in the UK.

It's ok, Phil knows I love and respect him. :D

On a side note, you highlight once again the crazy silly aspect of the film business...in how many other industries are people so willing to give their labour away for free just for a chance to work at one of the crap jobs in film!!

Phil has correctly pointed out on numerous occasions that the industry is vastly over subscribed, there are simply far too many people that want to be in it vs the number of jobs available.

R,

PS: Phil, I think I'm going to come back to the UK a produce a movie there. Just to cheese you off. :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

I don't bloody care as long as you employ me!

I have never presented the US as a panacea (although I was getting work, that I had to turn down, thrown at me left and right when I was there in April, it was almost embarrassing).

The US is better because there are so many more levels on which to work and much more of a career progression because it is treated much more professionally; it is a business. Here, it is an artform, which is not generally a way to make a living unless you are incredibly lucky. There, it is somewhat possible. Here, it is barely in the realms of reality. Neither is easy, but one is still a lot easier.

But none of this makes any difference, anyway, unless our correspondent magically happens to have close American relations.

P

I don't bloody care as long as you employ me!

Ok I've scheduled The Dogfather Part IV, to be shot in London next year. Except this time he works for British gangsters, and he's a bulldog to boot!

Why didn't I think of this sooner, this will be hilarious!!

R,

• Premium Member

Ok I've scheduled The Dogfather Part IV, to be shot in London next year. Except this time he works for British gangsters, and he's a bulldog to boot!

Why didn't I think of this sooner, this will be hilarious!!

R,

Sounds like a blockbuster by UK standards :rolleyes:

What camera will you be using? :P

Hello, thank you for your feedback.

Thank you Paul, I don't mind doing the dirty jobs at all, as I'm a graduate I know that whatever career I choose I will have to start out at the very bottom. The problem is sieving through the job ads, as half of them appear to be student made. The problem with this is that I want to break into a professional environment, and not feel like I'm back at university. One of the reasons I want to go to film school is to network. I just want to be careful and make the right decisions.

To Phil and Richard!

I agree with certain things you have said. To begin with it is an oversubscribed industry, and highly competitive, and that most people will not "make it". I would like to note at this point, that to become super famous is not my intention, in fact I would hate that. I want to be able to make something that I'm proud of and say I've put my stamp on it.

As an artist, I realised a long time ago that I probably won't have lots of money, I won't be recognised for my work, and I will struggle to get to the top of my profession. However, that doesn't mean I shouldn't at least try.

Secondly I could be just as unemployed in America as I could in England. The economy is crap here and everyone is moaning about it.

HOWEVER

Saying there is "No film industry in the UK" is a false statement. It is not as big as the US industry, but that is different from being non existent. Currently I believe that the British film industry is going through a boom at the moment as well, and over here at least, I'm seeing more British produced films coming out.

Besides this, if you look at big US films, you will see people from all different backgrounds littered among the credits. Lets take Batman for example. Nolan is English, as is Gary Oldman and Michael Caine, Liam Neeson is Irish and Christian Bale, Batman himself is Welsh. Hans Zimmer is German and Lee Smith, the editor, is Australian.

Going to film school over here would be worth my while, as many of the film schools have recruiting programs into major television networks, such as the BBC. If I can't work in a film, I can work in television. Even if I don't learn anything about film at film school, I'm networking and that may lead to something completely different.

All of this is off topic anyway, as I'm asking about which jobs would be the best to get into, and what to avoid, not how likely my job prospects are. Only Paul Brenno has managed to answer this question. Thank you again.

Please don't suck me into an internet war. I came here to ask for advice not to get hassled and put down. Thanks.

Geez did you pick the wrong forum to sign up with. :D

R,

• Premium Member

I'm not putting you down. For all I know you may be the ghost of Kubrick. I'm just trying to help you avoid spending the best years of your life and a lot of money on something that will never repay you.

You can work as hard as you like to get into film in this country, and the likelihood is that all you'll get out of it is disappointment and debt. That's no reflection on you, but it is the truth.

P

I'm not putting you down. For all I know you may be the ghost of Kubrick. I'm just trying to help you avoid spending the best years of your life and a lot of money on something that will never repay you.

You can work as hard as you like to get into film in this country, and the likelihood is that all you'll get out of it is disappointment and debt. That's no reflection on you, but it is the truth.

P

Well thats all very well but its not really advice; your just telling me to give up and find another career. I’d rather at least try than sit at home doing nothing.

• Premium Member

Well, that's advice, even if it's advice you don't like.

I'm offering you this advice based on my sincere belief that it is in your interests to follow it. Beyond that, there's not much I can do.

P

Peter all that really means anything in this world is love and art... Crack on mate.

"I came here to ask for advice not to get hassled and put down"

And advice is what you'll get. Don't be put off of the forum either there's a bit of an edge yeah but it's all about exchange of information.

Peter all that really means anything in this world is love and art... Crack on mate.

"I came here to ask for advice not to get hassled and put down"

And advice is what you'll get. Don't be put off of the forum either there's a bit of an edge yeah but it's all about exchange of information.

Thanks! I won't let it get me down because, fair enough to Phil and Richard, I know its a stupidly hard industry to get into. I've sent you an invitation over Linkedin as well.

Thanks

P. J. Scott

I think this is the way to go. Basically getting into the NFTS is the main route into film in the UK. Getting in there would be a good start but it is of course hard to get into.

Theres not really much of a pathway where you can work your way up, and there is none really outside the NFTS. Entry level jobs on the little UK funded shoots are now being reserved for NFTS students. OTOH, looking at your short thing, maybe you could find work editing video, or elsewhere in the post industry?

love

Freya

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Sometimes the actual approach is the best approach- put your foot in the door. They won't be able to shut it and then you're in!

Thanks again for your replies.

Freya, I have had a look at editing as something I could go into, as I think the process can completely change the feel of a film so I know its something I would enjoy doing. Unfortunately all the jobs across all sectors seem to want “at least 3 years work experience”. Hopefully something will come up soon though.

As for aiming for the NFTS, it really is a foolproof plan for me. If I don’t get in, which seems probable lets face reality, I will still have a big portfolio to show off and may have found paid work which I enjoy more anyway. If, with any luck, I do get in, then that would be great, and I’ll take it from there. From the internet I have seen a lot of people with great work and a lot more experience than me get turned down, so I have my work cut out. I will remain optimistic however until I get turned down, so who knows.

I have made some developments this week though. I’ve signed up to myfirstjobinfilm.co.uk were they seem to have lots of internships and running jobs going. I need to finish my profile for that. I’ve also expanded my social networking to these sites:

Twitter: @pjscott89

Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=190068291&locale=en_US&trk=tab_pro

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DSECentertainment?feature=mhee

Blogspot: http://www.pjscottentertainment.blogspot.co.uk/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/P-J-Scott-Entertainment/327126583976703

Currently, I’m making an animated music video with a colleague for a band. Though I don’t get paid, again its still something to go in my portfolio, and the band has moderate youtube circulation and some good contacts. Through my brothers knack of being good at networking, I may also have a work experience placement on a major film set, but nothing concrete yet so fingers crossed. I’m also trying to get hold of a director whom I’m distantly related to to beg for work, but this is a long shot.

I’m also working on some screenplays and short movie experiments so I can get more live action stuff going on. Most of my work so far has been animated and created on a computer so this is something I need to do.

These are all small steps, but hopefully they will build up to something. Thanks again for your help guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a gardener boy and aspiring prospective cinematographer.I don't see any other ways but putting my legs at the door. According to what you said I with my Iranian background suck then.

Just be positive and cross your fingers you'll get there some day.

Thank you all :)