D-21 as B-camera to Alexa?

Eric Lin

Hi all. I'm curious if anyone has had experience using the D-21 as a B-camera to the Alexa for two cameras covering the same scene. I've shot on the Alexa but not the D-21. We are a low budget shoot and might be able to get the D-21 as a second camera. Given the older sensor and lower sensitivity of the sensor, how difficult is it to get the two sensors to match in daylight scenes? In tungsten scenes?

I'd appreciate anyone's experience. Thanks!

Best,

Eric Lin

NYC

DP

• Premium Member

The D21 won't have the same dynamic range nor the sensitivity, so you'd be matching the wider range of the Alexa to the D21 rather than matching the D21 to the Alexa. It may also slow down your final color-correction to have A and B intercutting with slightly different looks, so that's a cost factor. Of course, it's probably better than trying to use some other camera as a B-camera, like an F3 or C300... You might be OK outside but what about inside - don't you need a B camera for interior scenes, and if so, are you going to light everything to around 250 ASA?

As always, thanks for the great insight David. If we get the D-21 I'm hoping to restrict it's use to 2nd unit day exterior stuff so the difference in look isn't too jarring. Does the D-21 with a limited dynamic range suffer in available light exteriors? Is it a sensor that is best for controlled studio situations where lighting is controlled?

Depending on the look, I'm leaning toward only using it if our Alexa falls in the lake.

We don't have the resources to light interiors to 250 ASA (we got some big spaces) so I'm going to squash the idea of using it as a B-camera in interiors.