Spec for Rigging Space Lights

When rigging 6k space lights, is there a set distance between fixtures that is typically used, or a formula one would use to to ensure that the area being light is uniformly exposed? I've been curious as to how the decision is made.

When rigging 6k space lights, is there a set distance between fixtures that is typically used, or a formula one would use to to ensure that the area being light is uniformly exposed? I've been curious as to how the decision is made.

There is not a standard. Part of their allure is versatility and because there is not a universal standard in the height of sets or stages a light that operates in a fixed manner becomes very situational.

Normally 8' spacing is used. Budget can play a large factor in spacing. Hanging spacelights can add up quickly.

We put up over 1000 of them in a hanger to film a sequence of two pirate ships fighting. I believe they were 6' spacing but they also hung at 90' in the air. They were powered by 6 CAT 1000kw generator with a 7th for backup. Some $20k was spent just in cameras to help with firewatch up in the raftors, They can get expensive real quick but they are a great light.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the info! I'm in Baton Rouge working at Hollywood Rentals and we haven't sent out as many space lights as I would have thought since I've been here, even for the huge shows. BTW Work very closely with Marc Marino on the Pirates movies? Got to meet him down here, great guy.

Edited by Kyle Reid