100D Cartridges Jamming In Multiple Cameras

Chris Wood

Hey All,

I bought a large amount of Tri-X and Ektachrome cartridges directly from Kodak for a project I'm working on and have shot several rolls of Tri-X successfully, but every roll of Ektachrome I try shoots for a few seconds and then sputters out. I tried multiple fresh cartridges in my Canon 814 and Eumig C10 and each roll did the same thing. If I let go of the run button for a few seconds and hold it down again it will shoot several more frames and then slow down again and stop.

I scoured the internet for solutions to this problem and have used multiple recommended techniques for fixing jams, but none have helped!

Am not sure if I just got a bad batch of film from Kodak (I'm assuming this is unlikely) or what, but it is a bummer as I bought quite a bit of Ektachrome.

Thanks for your help/insight!

-Chris

Hi Chris,

try rotating the cartridge core CLOCKWISE (never the other way) until the film starts to move in the film window (you know, the open part of the cartridge where you can see the film). Do this with new cartridges too. It may help. If you are having trouble, make sure you are using super fresh batteries. If they are getting low, it can be a problem.

richard

Super 8 cartridges shouldn't jam at all as they use a very simple film path.

I'm wondering Chris, is it possible your E100D's carts have been stored somewhere really humid ? ( to make the film sticky ).

It would have to be very humid though !

Also, try pushing in the pressure pad a few times to make sure it's freely 'floating' in it's position.

Just a thought.

John S :blink:

Super 8 cartridges shouldn't jam at all as they use a very simple film path.

I guess this is irony, or you are referring to Single-8 cartridges. Super8 cartridges are very prone to jamming.

Ask Kodak for a refund in any case. You are not the only one that is suffering from E100D jamming in the last months so something is happening...

Thanks for the replies so far!

I have tried turning the cartridges clockwise to no avail and have tried fresh batteries from multiple stores. If I pull out the non-working Ektachrome and put in a fresh Tri-X it works fine. It has been rather humid where I am located, but each cartridge that I have tried has been straight from the refrigerator (and I tried them before going outside).

Unless someone has a better idea, I think I will be taking your advice Miguel and will call Kodak since I've had this happen with three fresh rolls in a row.

Are years by now that I use rechargeable Kaccema cartridges, and I am very pleased with the results. The frames are more stable and no risk of blockage of the film. Also save on purchase of film (bought in rolls from 60 Metres). I also introduced some customizations that make easier dragging the film: first of all I put rollers in every points of friction, I expanded the pressure window, originating from 27.5 mm to 35 mm, since the film rubs too hard in the edges of this window . Third I put silicone oil in the roller of rewinding wheel, thus exerts softer resistance now as if there was a ball bearing. Essentially the only point of friction should be in the film pressure plate, in the other points the film should run with minimum friction as possible.

Roberto

Thanks for the replies so far!

I have tried turning the cartridges clockwise to no avail and have tried fresh batteries from multiple stores. If I pull out the non-working Ektachrome and put in a fresh Tri-X it works fine. It has been rather humid where I am located, but each cartridge that I have tried has been straight from the refrigerator (and I tried them before going outside).

Unless someone has a better idea, I think I will be taking your advice Miguel and will call Kodak since I've had this happen with three fresh rolls in a row.

Chris,

If you're using the carts straight from the fridge, then you're asking for trouble as the film will be a bit sticky !

You must de-frost them properly ...at least an hour or two.

The Tri-X's may not be as sticky as the Ektachromes if you're using them straight out the fridge too.

Other than that, Super 8 carts are really not prone to jamming unless they've been tampered with - or if there's a manufacturing fault of course.

John S

If the films are in the sealed foil they cannot be humid. It is airtight.

Take them from the storage a few hours ahead of time. Or a day. Nothing wrong with that.

This jamming is an eternal topic. Kodak is not doing anything differently and 10.000-s of these films are being used around the world without trouble. Don't mistake these few film forums for the world. They are not.

Most likely there is something wrong with cameras who don't pull it :) They are over 30 years old and likely saw no maintenance at all :(

Just take the jammed cartridge out and test the free moving. I.e. put your thumb on the film lighty to press in the pressure plate a little and then by friction drive the film downward. It should show if it jams and which direction is stuck. The feed or the pick-up.

Edited by Andries Molenaar
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Hi, had issue's with 100d jamming for over a year, also experiance poor running issues too. Wittner 100d always transportd ok, yet kodaks 100d jams!. Have largely dumped kodaks cartridge based 100d in favour of DS8 100D, if i require reversal have been using wittner 64t which transports perfectly. Sadly wittner 64t stocks are now exhausted. There is no answer to 100d jamming, its not your camera's or storage of the film. Also experiance flickery images with cartridge based 100d too as the camera struggles to transport the film.

Only answer would be to shoot DS8 or 200t....

Hey All,

I bought a large amount of Tri-X and Ektachrome cartridges directly from Kodak for a project I'm working on and have shot several rolls of Tri-X successfully, but every roll of Ektachrome I try shoots for a few seconds and then sputters out. I tried multiple fresh cartridges in my Canon 814 and Eumig C10 and each roll did the same thing. If I let go of the run button for a few seconds and hold it down again it will shoot several more frames and then slow down again and stop.

I scoured the internet for solutions to this problem and have used multiple recommended techniques for fixing jams, but none have helped!

Am not sure if I just got a bad batch of film from Kodak (I'm assuming this is unlikely) or what, but it is a bummer as I bought quite a bit of Ektachrome.

Thanks for your help/insight!

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Did you ever find a solution? Did you get in touch with Kodak?

I've had similar problems. Not jams but with the cameras having problems pulling the film through (only with 100D).

• 1 month later...

My two-cents worth,

I've had problems with the 100D cartridges as well, on many different types of cameras. Especially nearing the end of a roll, the cartridge will often slow or stop. I've also sometimes been able to actually hear/feel the tension of the film in the cartridge winding unevenly in terms of speed.

The 100D stock cartridges seem to be made of a lighter plastic than the old 64T. Perhaps that is part of the issue.

I can only say that I've definitely had issues with this stock, and it's been very frustrating.

Good luck.

Edited by Zach Von Joo

I used around 12 carts a while ago and had many problems with jitter, although most footage was retrievable, it really was the last straw for film in my book, I have always been a keen proponent of Super8, but when you put alot of money into jittery footage.....it bites!

A good cure is using virtualdub with the "deshaker" element, it actually works wonders!

Good luck

Hi Chris,

This sounds exactly like the problem I was having with my Canon 518 Autozoom. When I got the camera I tested it out on a cart of Ektachrome and the transport worked fine. When I went to shoot with tri-X, also no problems. 100D, on the other hand, jammed up every time after about 10 seconds (or less!) of shooting. I finally opened the camera up to see what was up and started lubing things until I found something that worked. I posted a detailed description of the repair here: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=49784 The 814 XL-S is definitely a little different, but I bet you it's the same problem and the same easy fix. Your 100D carts are almost certainly fine, but they do seem to take a little more power to transport. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Dave

• 2 months later...

Hiello to everybody,

in German forums this is also an issue. It appears that the E100D asks for a steady drive with a correct adjusted friction drive for winding up the film. This is a very, very important point !

Up to today I never had problems with E100D-cartridges in cams which have received a good (!) maintenance before.

However some E100D cartridges have been opened (after making trouble) and found to be manufactured in a bad way e.g. forgotten parts inside. This may call for problems but not necessarily !

Therefore you should not hesitate to complain in order that Kodak is aware and assures a proper manufacturing of the cartridges. But do not forget that the cam's drive is playing a much more important role than before with K40.

And yes, cartridges should warm up slowly in the foil before they are used.

2h is a minimum, in general I put the cartridges from the deep freezer (btw rumours say that deep freezing is NOT the best way for film storage because of risks of micro cracks within the emulsion) into the fridge for 1-2 days before I take them out on a table for another half day or more. Then shake the cartridge, gentle tap it (do not beat) in order to loose the film windingst, then open the foil, put the cartridge in the cam and enjoy :-)

Had a brand new Ektachrome 100D jam. It ran for over 30sec worth of footage then died. The cart is so tight I cannot turn it manually! Forget your theory about the cameras being old?

If, as Reinhard states, parts can be missing due to errors at assembling time then this would be caused by a missing core. The film anchors itself to the hub in the store space. The only thing then is how was the film rolled up before inserting it into the cartridge?

Edited by Andries Molenaar

• Premium Member

Had 4 completely jam this year, and around 20 which cause running issues with the camera, which give flickery images. Not a camera fault as various cameras used and all other stocks transport fine. In fact wittner 50d and the now discontinued wittner 64t all ran perfectly, which is ironic that kodak cannot seem to get there own super 8 product to run without technical issues. Only way to shoot 100d with 100% reliability is in the DS-8 format.

My Eumig Nautica, Bolex 5120, 5122, Canon 312XL-S, 514XL-S, AF514XL-S, Elmo 1012S-XL and Braun Nizo 6080 have all been fine.

Though my Eumig 880 & 881 PMAs, Sankyo XL-620, Nalcom FTL 1000 and Canon 1014XL-S have all repeatedly jammed and struggled with the 100D cartridges.

My Eumig Nautica, Bolex 5120, 5122, Canon 312XL-S, 514XL-S, AF514XL-S, Elmo 1012S-XL and Braun Nizo 6080 have all been fine.

Though my Eumig 880 & 881 PMAs, Sankyo XL-620, Nalcom FTL 1000 and Canon 1014XL-S have all repeatedly jammed and struggled with the 100D cartridges.

So it is the under-dosis of wind-up torque. The cameras need adjusting. Or maybe they could be helped with gate-lube (from wittner). If it were over-dosis you would have unstable framing.

Has anyone appoached Kodak about this ?

John S :blink:

One should hope so. Otherwise no cause will be found and nor will Kodak know. :)

If the problem exists at all. It seems these things come up on internetfora every now and then.

But I noticed no recalls from Kodak ot large suppliers like Wittner