"Digital S-8" - lenses to create a S8 look?

trinityroots

I am completely new to this - everything I have shot prior has been on a workhorse Panasonic DV100X. However, I am hoping to achieve some kind of "digital super 8" effect on a small, unobtrusive camera that I won't overwhelm people with its size and easy for me to travel with. For example, I was thinking the Canon Vixia HF11 or 10 (second hand) with a letus adaptor and then just picking up some still camera lenses to get the s-8 effect.

Would this work as a setup? What lenses would be goodie's to try and pick up? The first use will be shoot some interviews (which I want to look artful, not sterile - shallow depth of field fine).

Any help greatly, greatly appreciated!

That's really nice! Much more "cinematic" and exactly the kind of thing I am trying to do!

Unfortunately that degree of vignetting might get a little overwhelming on a feature doc though. Do you think a diff adapter would allow more light in and reduce that?

although I'd normally be a the head of the line of people telling you to "just shoot real super8, it's not that expensive; bla bla bla"

You might want to consider looking at

To my eye it doesn't look 100% like actual film; but having said that the results look no worse than applying cine grunge style plugins to digital footage in post.

Also you did mention wanting to use a small unobtrusive camera.

Do you think a diff adapter would allow more light in and reduce that?

I'm not sure there's actually any vinjetting going on there - this adaptor didn't have a rotating screen - and I think that tends to add to the "hot spot" look in the middle which is probably what you are noticing. I don't know much about these - if you look around on youtube for clips made with a rotating screen you should hopefully spot the difference.

This DOF adaptor is pretty much the same as the one described here:

Doing focus pulls on this kind of rig for a doco might get tricky