Cinematographer Vs DP

Sean Elder

Weird, to me Director of Photography is the title you always see in the credits (the ultimate end game, DIRECTING photography) so to me cinematographer is more akin to photographer and doesn't quite have the same sparkle as Director of Photography.

So you were the post house and I handed over cases of stills to you and said: "Here's the movie! When you get them all scanned in give me a call so we can "edit" the movie!" Would you think A.) that I am eccentric and the producers have found a very creative way to say "We are going with a different post house." B.) I am plain nuts and just wasted time and money C.) the producers have gone mad and have chosen to shoot in "the highest quality possible" with large format cameras?

• 3 years later...

I believe it's a matter of class. I call myself "Director of Photography" because I'm not afraid to sweat with the grunts in the trenches. When I can sit with a clear conscious in the air conditioned room with the rest of upper management, I feel I'll then be a cinematographer. Call me crazy.

If not already posted, what I came to understand is a DP only Directs the shot and lighting, will rehearse the shot, but then will have the Operator actually operate. The Cinematographer will actually operate on others, all depending on union or budget.....

• Premium Member

There are people who are credited as Directors of Photography who operate the camera, and the union -- who created that title -- allows it.

And there are people who are credited as Cinematographer who do not operate the camera. Storaro, who prefers the term cinematographer, uses camera operators.

If not already posted, what I came to understand is a DP only Directs the shot and lighting, will rehearse the shot, but then will have the Operator actually operate. The Cinematographer will actually operate on others, all depending on union or budget.....

Many DPs light and operate, particularly on lower budget shows. Roger Deakins operates on all his movies.

I think that in order to use the term Director of Photography, you really need to have a crew that you are directing. If you function more as a one man band, with perhaps only an assistant to help carry equipment, like many documentary and time-lapse cameramen, then Cinematographer is a more appropriate term.

It's just terminology. I am actually very in favor of Storaro's point of view. There is only one director on the set and never should anyone attempt to add confusion about that. As well the terminology is nothing particularly special. Just like a Photographer takes stills, we taking moving pictures for the cinema so cinematographer is completely apt and has no mystical power behind it that one must earn.

• Premium Member

I care more about the work itself than the labels attached to it. Maybe we should just make up a nonsense word for the job title...

Reminds me of a moment during a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode where during the movie, there is a line where an astronaut tells a woman from Venus that "our language has many words that will be strange to you"... And Crow T. Robot quips: "...like the word 'Taco-rific!' "

• Upvote 1

I've only been on few sets, one union, one independent but both had DPs in the ASC. One movie was veey low budget, the D.P. not only Directed but also was Operator, his Gaffer was also 2nd Unit D.P. Another feature the D.P. directed his crew per each shot, rehearsed the move, then Operator did the shot. None of these were big budget but one had Academy Award....interesting to watch how the crews worked