What sorcery is this? Mini-Mitchell Hihat?

Ricardo Casco

A while back ago I got a used mitchell hi-hat, seller claimed it was from Matthews. So when It arrived, assuming all mitchell bases were the same, I just stored it incase anyone needed one on set. About a month later it gets called in, so I grab the 150mm bowl adapter and to my surprise it didn't fit! Luckily it was not actually needed that day, but this is a bummer.

Can anyone explain this to me? I thought the mitchell base was a standard size:

Image: Pin not fitting inside slot:

2fHy.png

Image: Circular opening too small

Szzx.png

I know the adapter is the correct size because its worked on multiple other mitchell bases.

Anyone know who manufactures these?

Edited by Ricardo Casco

I would say the hi-hat looks right so it could be the adapter.

Should have mentioned, the adapter has worked with another mitchell part I have, but this would answer the question: The hi-hat's diameter is about 6", the hole is about 2" 1/4 and the little pin receiver is about 1/4" - Is that the correct size for a mitchell base? If someone could confirm that would be great. I'm pretty sure this is a weird mini version, or I must have some sort of oversized mitchell base on a dolly and oversized adapters!

You have discovered one of the most frustrating realities in the grip world.

All Mitchell / Moy fittings are not the same. There are small differences. Place a fisher and chapman mitchell receiver against each other - they dont match.

• 2 weeks later...

You have discovered one of the most frustrating realities in the grip world.

All Mitchell / Moy fittings are not the same. There are small differences. Place a fisher and chapman mitchell receiver against each other - they dont match.

Gah! At least we all agreed what the baby pin and junior pins sizes are, if not Im probably going to go live in a cave somewhere.

Managed to sell it, maybe it will be of use to someone else

Thanks