Cinematographer wanted

Guest MisterKD

Guest MisterKD

We are a start up Independent Production and we are looking for an experienced Cinematographer with an Independent spirit, we have a Sony FS100 and cinematic lenses for you to use but if your more comfortable using your own equipment please let us know. We are shooting a SAG ULB Feature titled "Man in a Box" a Drama/Thriller that we will submit to festivals. So if you can create beautiful images ,we want to hear from you! Our shoot will be shot entirely in the Scranton/Wilkes barre PA area. It is tentatively set for early August 11 and will take about 4weeks every weekend and some weekdays . We are looking for someone with both a creative vision and exceptional knowledge of cameras, lighting and cinematography. Also, you must have a reel that showcases more than commercials and music videos. If you have done shorts, pilots, and/ or features please send us a link to your reel. This is a NO PAY GIG however we can do a deffered pay contract or if you have a suggestion that works for us both (just as long as it does not involve payment until after movie released) we would be willing to consider. Also please list any equipment you own as this is very helpful. Along with your resume and/ or link to your IMDB page, please list any conflicts and dates of other projects you are working on!

SYNOPSIS : Man in a Box is about a complex character named Lloyd Thomas. Recently released from a mental hospital, he seeks forgiveness and redemption as he struggles to reconnect with family and fit back into society. A devout Catholic he faces the challenge of a world that he sees as lost and needs GOD more than ever. Using the bible for direction and understanding. He walks a fine line with his interpretation of the bible. Likening himself to the Arch Angel Michael, as his mental state deteriorates. Lloyd begins to question his own motives as he becomes aware he's capable of doing evil in the name of the Lord and comes face to face with his faith and principals

• Premium Member

No Offense Mister KD;

but 1) this is a real name forum, so you must use your REAL first and last names. You can change this under the "my account" and then display name stuff

2) It's kind of offensive to come to a professional forum and ask for free work. I highly recommend not asking for free work, all you get is people with eyes larger than their stomachs. Not all DPs are trying to get rich, but we do have real bills to pay.

• Upvote 1

The above is really interesting.

Would it have made a difference if it was the Director in here doing what needs to be done rather than the Producer? (he could be both I don't know)

The film sounds good. Sometimes a DP being lenient in terms of pay could be the most financially rewarding decision in the long term.

Guest MisterKD

No Offense Mister KD;

but 1) this is a real name forum, so you must use your REAL first and last names. You can change this under the "my account" and then display name stuff

2) It's kind of offensive to come to a professional forum and ask for free work. I highly recommend not asking for free work, all you get is people with eyes larger than their stomachs. Not all DPs are trying to get rich, but we do have real bills to pay.

No offense taken, as far me asking for free work, I respectfully disagree. My intent is collaborating with talented individuals and make a great film that may be the start of something big for all those involved, if money dictates whether someone wants to be a part of a project well that's lost on me. I have bills just like anyone else but it's never stop me from getting involved with something I felt was worthwhile and beneficial for both sides. Are your suggesting because I'm not in a position to pay I shouldn't seek qualified individuals? I'll leave it the individual to decide. It never hurt anyone to ask. Thank you very much.

I'll try to change my name. It's Kevin Davis

• Premium Member

Would you ask a mechanic to restore your car because it's beneficial to both individuals? They get experience and you get a new car? You want a professional (one hopes) and as such you must be in a position to pay for them-- even if only symbolically.

I'm not saying I haven't worked for free plenty of times-- I have-- on student films and for friends. But that is a conversation for friends and further, on projects which aren't a whole lot of days. Kevin, you must understand that saying "no pay," is an insult where as "low budget but we'll do what we can," is a way of initiating a conversation with those professionals who may more than ready be able and willing to help you out.

And Rex, lenient in pay is one thing-- but that is assuming pay is offered. I'm not saying you need to pay IASTE rates, what I am saying is that offering someone at least minimum wage is going to get you a lot more respect than wanting things for free. And honestly, if you can't afford to pay your crew, then maybe you should spend more time raising funds. Would you start a really cool business and not pay your employees because they'll get experience for other jobs later?

I'm sorry, but this whole no pay thing really needs to be stopped eventually. It only undermines everyone (outside of favors for friends and again student films, both of which are fine)

Also, you must have a reel that showcases more than commercials and music videos. If you have done shorts, pilots, and/ or features please send us a link to your reel. This is a NO PAY GIG however we can do a deffered pay contract or if you have a suggestion that works for us both (just as long as it does not involve payment until after movie released) we would be willing to consider. Also please list any equipment you own as this is very helpful. Along with your resume and/ or link to your IMDB page, please list any conflicts and dates of other projects you are working on!

The bit that made me go wah? was the stuff about must being able to showcase more than commercials and music videos!!! Here in the UK commercials are usually shot by very high end cinematographers! Maybe that's not the case stateside? I thought that really odd. Also if you already had lots of feature based work on your reel, why would you be looking to work for free to gain more? It just smelled of that whole thing of I have this "wonderful opportunity" for you to work for me for free.

Cinematographers do work for free sometimes, it is for experience, or for their reel, or sometimes as a favour to a friend. High end cinematographers with a lot of experience don't need to work for free, they have plenty of great work coming in already thankyou.

Often it seems there are productions with an overinflated idea of their own importance!

You should be grateful for the wonderful opportunity to work for them for free rather than them being grateful to you for your huge favour!

Kinda weird.

The one thing really in favour of this posting is that they do seem in favour of discussing non cash based ways that might be helpful to the cinematographer. That little bit seems smart. :)

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• 1 month later...

I gotta agree with Adrian on this one... I've been shooting for 4 years, used to shoot for free till' I hurt myself while shooting and then never had any support money NOR do some freelance cinematographers have insurance enough to pay for injuries. I sold $8,000 worth of equipment just for my leg to heal. You gotta reconsider, Mister KD. At least save up and pay the cinematographer if you're very hopeful and have faith in hoping to win any festivals.

As cinematographers are taking risks to shoot for free, you guys aren't taking any risks. Now that is just not fair right?

• 1 month later...

No offense taken, as far me asking for free work, I respectfully disagree. My intent is collaborating with talented individuals and make a great film that may be the start of something big for all those involved, if money dictates whether someone wants to be a part of a project well that's lost on me. I have bills just like anyone else but it's never stop me from getting involved with something I felt was worthwhile and beneficial for both sides. Are your suggesting because I'm not in a position to pay I shouldn't seek qualified individuals? I'll leave it the individual to decide. It never hurt anyone to ask. Thank you very much.

I'll try to change my name. It's Kevin Davis

Hey Kevin, I wanted to just throw in my two cents respectfully as a working cinematographer. You should seek the best you can always, no doubt. I have worked for free for friends and been paid back in accolades, great footage, pats on the back etc. After some years working for little money I realized If a producer cant come up with 500$ then they cant make a film. Its difficult my friend.. Much harder than working a few extra shifts at burger hut to pay your crew something. I'm not telling you what to do and respect your position! I would suggest; Get some money. Anyone can do this.

• 2 months later...

Hi all to you. I'm Simon. so I would like to know, do you need a man as an actor or director assistant !!!one problrm is that that i'm in Armenia now, so if will be a job, i 'll be there !!! write me. simon241088@list.ru