Old lenses with beautiful flare?

Hey guys,

My first post here! ;)

I'm going to shoot a musicvideo, where strong flares, color casts and other lens faults would be suitable...

The question is simply: What lenses do you know of, that produces a great flare? Right now i'm bidding on a Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 2,8 / 180 Pentacon Six, but I would like to hear some first hand intel ;)

Thanks in advance, and good night!

• Premium Member

Hey guys,

My first post here! ;)

I'm going to shoot a musicvideo, where strong flares, color casts and other lens faults would be suitable...

The question is simply: What lenses do you know of, that produces a great flare? Right now i'm bidding on a Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 2,8 / 180 Pentacon Six, but I would like to hear some first hand intel ;)

Thanks in advance, and good night!

Anything designed before mid 1970's will flare more than modern lenses, make sure the front element is in good condition & clean!

Early Super Speeds or 'B' Speeds are easy enough to rent & will do the trick! Same for Series II/III Cooke Speed Pancro or B&L Super Baltar if you can find them.

A 180mm is probably too long.......especially if it's your only lens.

Anything designed before mid 1970's will flare more than modern lenses, make sure the front element is in good condition & clean!

Early Super Speeds or 'B' Speeds are easy enough to rent & will do the trick! Same for Series II/III Cooke Speed Pancro or B&L Super Baltar if you can find them.

A 180mm is probably too long.......especially if it's your only lens.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the reply!

So you recommend to rent them? What I was looking for where really dirt cheap lenses to buy.

I have the common range of Canon glass - i'm the still photographer, making the move into the moving picture ;) I just think they are too clean, too 'digital'...

I will try and look some of those lenses up you mention! And yeah, ofcause, the more focal length, the less flare!

http://www.pjscottentertainment.blogspot.co.uk/#!http://pjscottentertainment.blogspot.com/2012/06/anamorphic-lenses.html

Hi, this is an article on my blog. It has a couple of videos on there you may be interested in, not mine but good for reference. I’m not sure what you are after exactly; What type of camera do you have?

Anyhow, I took this these pictures with my 550d using the anamorphic lens I described in the post.

Picture 1

Take a look through that flickr reel and there are a couple of things on there. Granted, I haven’t really had a chance to go outside with my camera for a while as there is no such thing as summer in the UK anymore apparently, but you get the idea.

Hope this helps!

Twitter: @pjscott89

Hi Peter,

Haha regarding the summer: I fully understand. The so called summer here in Denmark is nothing but rain and cold. Making a short about our great summer as we speak ;)

Thanks for the links! The picture of the anamorphic lens, is exactly what I'm after! It looks great.

I shoot with 5D and the L lenses - they are too pretty for some projects! The Sony FS700 just arrived a week ago, and I use the canon glass on that as well. Looks great, but I want that authentic old school look!

Like the look you master, Frank! Actually I've read that article, and sucked it all up! Bought a Pentacon Six 180 in mint condition, at least that is what the description said. I posted here to see if I could get any other inputs ;)

Keep up the great work! Great gems on your site and your work is inspiring.

Hello Viktor,

Glad you liked the pictures. There are other advantages to using anamorphic lenses as well. You do get a vintage look out of them, probably because most lenses were made before 1990. You get a much better colour range and better contrasts with this type of lens as well. I use colour correction tools far more sparingly than before. Obviously, you also get the natural widescreen which is a big advantage. I still don’t think that strapping on an anamorphic lens will make a DSLR look as good as a film camera though, say a Bolex, but its definitely an improvement over the spherical lenses the likes of canon/nikon provide.

Also Frank, nice article, really like the lenses you have on there. Shame they are out of my budget :( One day!

Thanks

P. J. Scott

@pjscott89

• 2 months later...