anyone got an Arri-3 mag for sale?

Phil Thompson

It's sort of impossible to figure out fair market value on film gear these days...case in point, my aforementioned SL Cine mags which may still actually be sold new (SL Cine actually turned into Element Technica, now 3ality Technica) for--ready for this--$4250 per mag. Yep, I spent nearly $13,000 on these mags back in '99 or so, and probably rolled less than 50 loads through them. I'll be lucky to get 1/10 of that for them now. They'd make a fine package with my SL Cine camera, which I bought for around $15K used at the same time. Now worth...?

It's sort of impossible to figure out fair market value on film gear these days...case in point, my aforementioned SL Cine mags which may still actually be sold new (SL Cine actually turned into Element Technica, now 3ality Technica) for--ready for this--$4250 per mag. Yep, I spent nearly $13,000 on these mags back in '99 or so, and probably rolled less than 50 loads through them. I'll be lucky to get 1/10 of that for them now. They'd make a fine package with my SL Cine camera, which I bought for around $15K used at the same time. Now worth...?

Sad story. Tell me about it..

It really is a buyers market these days for film gear. Grabbed a 435 with tonns of accessories this year for under 8k, that would have never happened a couple years ago.

As far as whats fair. I like to go to visualproducts.com and compare with what they're selling their gear for vs what it actually gets on ebay. Based on that 500 for an arri III mag felt fair. But its tricky, maybe someone nabbed one for like a 100 bucks in a freak auction, and now everyone thinks 500 is a rip. The fact the equipment is so old (although obviously extremely dependable eg. the only reason I can still sell it) doesn't exactly help.