S x S USB 3.0 or FW800 reader

I am doing media management on a TV show and speed is of the essence. We need to back up So far my searches online have only turned up USB 2.0, which for our purposes may be too slow. I see Sonnet Tech has a Thunderbolt solution, but our post house, Postworks, has advised us to avoid Thunderbolt. Does anyone know of USB 3.0 or FW800 SxS reader?

I am doing media management on a TV show and speed is of the essence. We need to back up So far my searches online have only turned up USB 2.0, which for our purposes may be too slow. I see Sonnet Tech has a Thunderbolt solution, but our post house, Postworks, has advised us to avoid Thunderbolt. Does anyone know of USB 3.0 or FW800 SxS reader?

I just started using the Sonnet Tech Thunderbolt adapter and it is much much faster and I've had no problems with it so far. I'd like to know why they have advised against it. It is REALLY fast which cuts my downloading and backup time by well over half.

The Sonnet ExpressCard to Thunderbolt adapter is ideal. If you have the Macbook Pro with the ExpressCard slot, you can purchase an eSata to Express adapter, and plug your drives in their.

Perdy fast

And if you're handchecking the footage, scrubbing through it, etc. What's the danger?

The Sonnet ExpressCard to Thunderbolt adapter is ideal. If you have the Macbook Pro with the ExpressCard slot, you can purchase an eSata to Express adapter, and plug your drives in their.

Perdy fast

And if you're handchecking the footage, scrubbing through it, etc. What's the danger?

Right now (in my hotel room), I have the Sonnet Expresscard adapter plugged into the MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt (pricey cable!) then my G-Raid drives daisychained but all linked in through the Firewire port. I'm downloading SxS data and backing it up twice in a third of the time it used to take me without the Thunderbolt.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

they didn't get to specific, but I went and purchased the Sandisk Imagemate All In One USB 3. It rocks! The fastest reader by a long shot. USB is much easier than thunderbolt (just plug and play) and it lives up to the U in it's name by being everywhere. I wrapped season two of the same show a few weeks ago. I backed up over 4ooo hours of footage with said reader. Highly recommended.

• 2 months later...

I've used the Sonnet SXS reader without any issues except that thunderbolt cables can sometimes come loose, which is not a problem with the actual reader but Tunderbolt's physical connection. It is important to note, however, that you will often be bottlenecked at drive speed. If I'm not mistaken, there is not much of a speed advantage when transferring to drives 7200 RPM or slower, when using Thunderbolt over USB 3.0. If you are transferring to solid state drives, however, there is a difference.

• Premium Member

USB3! It may not be the absolute fastest thing out there - but you can plug it into anything, Mac or PC and move your files around - and that's FAR more important than outright speed in my experience.